Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

William Blair Macro Allocation

This fund had held up quite well all year, but then had, what I hope, a cathartic few days, which I hope are over. Wanted to ask if anyone noticed anything "broken" with this fund like I did with Whitebox. I'm certainly not going to add any new money to this fund unless I'm break even.

Comments

• I owned this fund a few years ago. Had it for a year then dumped it. "Broken" might be too harsh as to the reason why I dumped it , it just did not meet my expectations and it just wasn't going anywhere, maybe down a few percent overall while I owned it. I see that it is down 6% YTD. FWIW, my recommendation is it is not worth holding, and I am a person who is not averse to holding such alternative investments.
  • edited December 2015
    VF, I see nothing broken about this fund, although I see no compelling reason to buy or hold this ALT fund. In my portfolio, an ALT position is definitely not a buy and hold/forget holding. In this space, I think that it is wise to go with what is working.

I realize that some folks don't care for Cliff Asness and his AQR funds, but some of their ALT funds are really doing well. In this space, we own a 10% position in QMNIX, but I also like QSPIX (closing to new investors on 1/29/16), QLEIX, VMNFX, and even the very volatile MCXIX. The institutional AQR funds continue to be available for a $100 minimum + TF in both taxable and retirement accounts.

Peace out.

Kevin