Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Hi John. A really good read. Would have guessed the opposite - that utilities would have rocketed up as interest rates declined as they tend to be very rate sensitive - in part because they borrow heavily to finance infrastructure. Yep, weather's a big factor. Day after day of sunny & 75 degrees now in northern MIch where we generally get snow into April. Maybe one reason to avoid sector funds - too many unknowns! BTW - gotta wonder what this is doing to the hospitality & resort businesses farther south (Florida & other)? Take care.
  • Reply to @hank: Hi Hank, I agree, the market is going up like crazy and we don't have much ground here. everything, including bonds, are so expensive now. I think the rally won't last much longer due to heavy inflations/high energy demands. but we would never know, too many unknows out there. If Korea or Iranians go off all bets are off...
    I am seriously thinking of buying physical gold bars and hide it in my backyard
  • LOL - Think CAREFULLY about that gold purchase. It was a much better buy back in '99 @ $250-$300 an ounce.
  • Reply to @johnN:

No backyard needed for the bars.........

http://www.goldgrambars.com/

Or are you writing about the 400 troy oz bricks. That is another story at about $662,000 per brick today.

Utilities may travel okay if interest rates are not moving up into the twilight zone.
    This area did well in 2011 and may be a choice again, if the broad equity markets do not hold a positive position the remainder of this.

Regards,
    Catch