Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Crazy Thought Re: Taxes/Encouraging More Investment

edited March 2012 in Off-Topic
Trying to piece taxes together and looking at covered sales, uncovered sales, WTF sales and a preparation process that seems yet more complicated, I'm already thinking about making fewer moves this year and being more long-term about my investments, but this makes me not want to do anything.

You would think Wall Street would want to make taxes and investments less and less complicated. Doing this just makes me want to do as little as possible this year because any movements just make for a ridiculous mess in March of the next year.

Obviously, volumes in terms of the retail investor are down for other reasons primarily, but just pulling all this together makes me want to do as little as humanly possible.

Comments

• Hi Scott, Skeeter here ...

I moved everything to one broker five or six years back because I was tired of compiling 1099's and spread sheets for my accountant. I met with him last week and told him to enjoy all 58 pages of my 1099. I guess I'll have to pay for that remark when I get his bill.

I feel for you ...

Skeeter
  • K-1's are even more wonderful, particularly the one that hasn't arrived yet...Terra Nitrogen...recorded phone message..."we'll have the tax package available by the end of March"... what's with these MLP's anyway???

hawk
  • Reply to @hawkmountain: Brookfield Infrastructure is also a no-go.