Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Lame Excuse to not sell.........

edited March 2012 in Fund Discussions
...............the old end of the quarter and the window dressing thing related to mutual funds.

I don't know that this data point is even valid anymore. Just what might an active fund manager(s) presume to be holdings to dump and/or buy in the beginning of April.
This house does have an itch to slim down equities and perhaps some of the high yield. 'Course we would be left quite naked to growth and high yield with this. On the other hand, if the trend equity continues down, we will be involuntarily stripped down to the naked state by others. This house prefers to decide for ourselves our state of investment growth nakedness, or captial preservation.

Well wishes to all going forward for the next 10 days.

Catch

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Catch, Grandma always said not to go out naked in a northern "spring." (Maybe she meant it was okay in the summer by the swimming hole?)

I saw a line somewhere, sorry no attribution remains in the memory cells, that there might even be hedgies and institutions doing quarterly rebalancing toward risk-off assets around the turn of the month, which could swamp the window dressing effect.

So far I haven't trimmed stocks in this household's conservative portfolio any further than a month ago, but did add a 'safe' long bond position (BAB) I plan to increase on momentum if it comes.

Buena suerte ...
  • Things takin a breather. Action's in commodities. Oil off another $2.50. Gold struggling lately @ near $1650. Stocks want to go higher & probably will after a rest. We're just watching. (Get dressed Catch.)
  • edited March 2012
    Added significantly to position in Hong Kong conglomerate Hutchison Whampoa, and may add/add to a couple of other things, including Marketfield (MFLDX). Am trying a year with hardly doing anything after buying/selling a few things in the next couple weeks. (I will still be around to chat a lot, but trying a year of little-to-no movement.)
  • Have lots of cash and not willing to sell anything. Correction will be welcome, and I will then add to existing long term positions at lower price points. Might even find some new stuff that might be worth a short-term trade.