Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Need your thoughts on Large Cap Growth Fund

I have been looking at the following NASDX or POLRX, does anyone have any thoughts on these two or something else they would recommend? Thanks

Comments

• beebee
    edited March 2016
    Over the last 10 years T. Rowe Price's Global Technology fund, PRGTX, seems to have edged out NASDX:

Charted Over the last 15 years:
  • @Carefree: Bee has suggested an excellent tech fund, PRGTX, however, I prefer QQQ, ER .20 compaired to NASDX .49.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Unless you are committed to tech, whatever I was researching and considering I would compare against RPG, NOBL, OUSA (v new), CAPE, and FCNTX, ups and down and totals for as long periods as possible.
  • It's listed as a blend by M*, but I use GTLOX as my large cap. PRGTX is a great fund, but as david mentioned, it's a global technology fund, not a diversified large cap.
  • @davidmoran: please share your thinking on including CAPE in your list. I own DSENX and I have one profitable round trip in CAPE. Still monitor it, but the low volume and the less-than-transparent relationship among the bid, ask, and last price are off-putting to me. Do you see it as a growth fund? Cheers.
  • You might consider Pioneer Fundamental Growth (PIGFX), the only domestic or global large-growth with a higher Sharpe ratio than the NASDAQ over the current full market cycle. Its advantage is driven by much better performance in the market crisis and in "bear market months" generally, which is not completely offset by less upside in rising markets. If, like Ella, it's all "Blue skies. Smiling at me. Nothing but blue skies. Do I see. Bluebirds Singing a song. Nothing but bluebirds. All day long. Never saw the sun shining so bright ...," then you're better off with the index. A tendency to hum "stormy weather," might lead you toward Pioneer. NTF/NL at Schwab, likely elsewhere.
  • BenWP,
    I use it only to check against other LC funds, do not own and did not know about its issues.
    I also guess I did not adhere strictly to usual definitions of growth.
    I am a large and longtime DSENX owner myself. I try without success to figure out why one set of these named holdings does differently from others, when it does. I should've included FLCEX also.
    I look not just for growth but also decline damping. Over 2.5y (and shorter too) it is interesting to me that only NOBL and CAPE do as well as or better than DSENX, although OUSA sure looks like a winner thus far.
    In retirement my long historical interest in the broadest diversifications (SC, EM) has become waaay diminished, and in REIT and foreign somewhat reduced as well.
  • MikeM said:

It's listed as a blend by M*, but I use GTLOX as my large cap.

Any thoughts on Glenmede's LC Growth fund GTLLX?

• beebee
    edited March 2016
    Does anyone own Jensen Quality Growth fund, JENSX?

Fund Mojo describe this A+ fund (Mojo ranking system) this way:

"Jensen Quality Growth J Fund seeks long-term capital appreciation. Jensen Quality Growth J Fund primarily invests in equity securities of approximately 20 to 30 companies. Generally, each company in which the Fund invests must have consistently achieved strong earnings and have a trend of increasing free cash flow over the prior ten years; be in excellent financial condition and be capable of sustaining outstanding business performance. The Fund may invest in securities when they are priced below their intrinsic values as determined by the adviser."

Others receiving notable scores from Mojo:
    PARWX - A+
    FUNYX (I like the ticker) - Master
    SBLYX - Master

fundmojo.com/mutualfund/bestmanager.php?category=Large+Growth
  • edited March 2016
    bee said:

Does anyone own Jensen Quality Growth fund, JENSX?

Yes on JENSX, and I've been very happy with it. Have also owned PARWX, but usually avoid it in an overvalued or down market.

• @davidmoran: I retired three years ago and I have to agree that foreign, EM, and SC have done nothing for me for several years now. I was on the verge of getting out of my Grandeur Peak and Matthews, long-term but reduced holdings, when all of a sudden EM recovered. Can one have exquisite timing when one only sits around and holds?
  • Not me; usually the inverse of good timing :( .
    Such foreign and reit as I have I have not sold, just am not really seeking to traditionally diversify anymore, and am not adding to such positions.
    Have modest MC (FLPSX) and I think almost no SC.
    LC of quality will always do whatever they do
    Plus a year-plus of cash, and SS for me starts in 13mo (at age 70).
    I will sell some fund holdings over the next months to add to cash, if the market is flat or rises, as I anticipate; if the Yackts recover I will do this even at a slightly larger scale.
    I too semiretired ~3y ago, forcibly. Am debating putting large percentage of cash into PONDX but not really seeing the point --- small beer, also risk.

• Maybe Bridgeway 35? BRLIX is the symbol, I think.