Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fund manager ownership participation

David I was reading the article in Market Watch where you were quoted on 14 April. How does one find out what the ownership participation is of the fund manager in a mutual fund?
prinx

Comments

• @prinx: Go to M*, enter fund symbol, click on Filings top right, click on SAI and scroll.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Greetings.

In general, Ted's right: the ownership data for both trustees and managers is reported in each fund's Statement of Additional Information. It's likely available through the higher-end products from Morningstar and Lipper but we don't have the budget for those. Alternately it could be extracted by data scraping, but I'm clueless about how one would do that, either.

The vicissitudes of a small shop.

David

• Not all ownership information is contained in the SAI. Many SAIs list only the holders of 5% or more of a fund's total assets. Some show only board members' holdings, not the managers' holdings. There is no requirement for how each fund must show ownership. My M* data base has more fund manager ownership detail, but it, too, is woefully incomplete and inaccurate. Fund companies differ in how management teams must invest their company retirement plan dollars, their bonuses, etc. Some companies require all of these dollars be invested in funds the company runs, some are more specific. Alas, because of the inconsistent reporting of data, we always ask managers to provide this information to us. Most do it matter-of-factly. Those that don't, we remove from our screening. Another thing...new funds, young managers, etc. can present problems in terms of how to evaluate. We just try to verify as best we can.