Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Our Funds Boat, week/YTD, Portfolio, PART 2, 4-23-11

edited April 2011 in Fund Discussions
NOTE: Part 2, The Portfolio

SELLs THIS PAST WEEK:

NONE

BUYs THIS PAST WEEK:

NONE

Portfolio Thoughts:

Our holdings had a +.44% move this past week. And yes, we are satisfied with our risk adjusted returns YTD. If the portfolio can pull a +10 to12% for the year; you will not hear any whining from this house.
JUST a sitt'in and watch'in what the next few weeks may bring. This house does not expect much to change with the FED debt issue and everything else that is going on in the world. BUT, we are curious as to how the big kid traders move forward. I suspect our CASH holding may not be out of line with some fund managers who are also sitt'in and watch'in. Lastly, official QE2 may end; but some other path will be found to "support" the U.S. economy. Mr. Bernank, after all; is a complete student of the Japanese economic situation and the depression of the '30's in America. This house suspects the U.S. economy is still not within Mr. B's comfort zone.

The old Funds Boat may make 5% or 25% this year. I expect some rough waters, changing winds and opposing currents; causing the most serious attention being given to a firm hand upon the rudder control.

How our boat's cargo is doing:

Week: = +.44%
YTD = +3.76%

Reference points, week / YTD:

SP-500 "SDY" = +.65% / +4.8% (SP-500,dividend inclusive etf)
Nasdaq = +1.4% / +6.3%
(per Google Finance)

And the cargo is:

CASH = 15%
Mixed bond funds = 78.4%
Equity funds = 6.6%

-Investment grade bond funds 12.2%
-Diversified bond funds 18.5%
-HY/HI bond funds 28.8%
-Total bond funds 14.6%
-Foreign EM/debt bond funds 4.3%
-U.S./Int'l equity/speciality funds 6.6%

This is our current list: (NOTE: I have added a speciality grouping below for a few of fund types)

---High Yield/High Income Bond funds

FAGIX Fid Capital & Income
SPHIX Fid High Income
FHIIX Fed High Income
DIHYX TransAmerica HY
DHOAX Delaware HY

---Total Bond funds

FTBFX Fid Total
PTTRX Pimco Total

---Investment Grade Bonds

DGCIX Delaware Corp. Bd
FBNDX Fid Invest grade
OPBYX Oppenheimer Core Bond

---Global/Diversified Bonds

FSICX Fid Strategic Income
FNMIX Fid New Markets
DPFFX Delaware Diversified
TEGBX Templeton Global
LSBDX Loomis Sayles

---Speciality Funds (sectors or mixed allocation)

FCVSX Fidelity Convertible Securities (bond/equity mix)
FRIRX Fidelity Real Estate Income (bond/equity mix)
FSAVX Fidelity Select Auto
FFGCX Fidelity Global Commodity
FDLSX Fidelity Select Leisure
FSAGX Fidelity Select Precious Metals

---Equity-Domestic/Foreign

CAMAX Cambiar Aggressive Value
FDVLX Fidelity Value
FSLVX Fidelity Lg. Cap Value
FLPSX Fidelity Low Price Stock

Comments

• edited November 2011
  • Hi Accipiter,

Looks like the post will be little or no chatter box.............as I sure don't plan on posting two Funds Boat notes.

Thank you for your time with this.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Is the tug gettin junkier? 29% in HY. Dont know about diversified and total bond but gonna guess they add another 10% junk/em. Toss in the emerging market fund and your probably around 40% less then investment grade. Right?
  • Dear Catch22: With all due respect would it be possible to post your fund boat only when you make changes. Reading the same funds sold/bought (none) over and over is quite boaring. In my opinion, your asset allocation of 78% bonds and equities at 6% is not in line with current market conditions.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I, for one, always enjoy seeing Catch's weekly updates - even if there are no changes to his investments, and I appreciate the time it takes him to do this.

I like seeing how his all-bond portfolio has performed each week and YTD. Plus, it would be nice for new joiners here who might not do back-searches to find previous ones.

It should only take a few seconds to scroll down to see if there are any changes, if that is all you are looking for.
  • edited November 2011
  • Dear Ted, as regards Catch not being in-line with current conditions, "...perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."
  • I kind of agree with you on this one Ted. But to each his/her own.
  • Hi Hank,

Here is quick look via TR Price's M* for the bond mix.

Medium-Quality Limited-Term 3.3%
    Medium-Quality Moderate-Term 27.7%
    Medium-Quality Extended-Term 0.00%
    Low-Quality Limited-Term 16.2%
    Low-Quality Moderate-Term 9.7%
    Low-Quality Extended-Term 29.2%
    Not Classified 13.9%

No high quality is indicated, so not sure how M* does the blend. Sure has to be some U.S. Treasury stuff in there somewhere. 'Course, perhaps M* has already downgraded the quality ratings for Treasury stuff.:):):)

And not sure about the "not classified that we all discover.

55% of the bond holdings are noted as HY/HI or whatever name one chooses, per the low quality in the above list. SO, 43% or so of the portfolio is HY/HI/Junk bonds.

Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • Hi Cathy,
    Thank you for your comments.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Howdy Accipiter,

Still getting used to the nuts and bolts at the new shop here.
    The reply feature would be way to link the posts together.
    Why change the title line? I already place the date for reference.
    Ya don't even want me to keep the Funds Boat? Maybe I'll change
    my name too and use another pc and email address. It'll be like
    I am a whole new member/lurker.

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited April 2011
    Catch. Thanks for the reply and for all the work you put into your weekly reports. You already have the word "boat" in your title, so anyone clicking knows whats there. Maybe you could placate some by also indicating in your caption whether there has been any change, perhaps "N/C" if none indicated. Just a thought. But keep em coming. Yep, I don't always understand what M* churns out. Once I entered a certain amount as cash ($$CASH) and it still got the % wrong. However, you do seem heavy into lower quality. Might consider adopting Junkster's old handle as don't look like hes posting in this forum. FWIW. (-: (-:
  • Ted,

Not quite sure what to do with you. I have a nice write parked here at the pc; but have not yet decided upon the pathway.
    Perhaps I'll just remove you from my holiday card list.

Don't torture yourself with reading the Funds Boat. No one here is twisting your arm of reading choices.

With what is presumed to be your vast amount of experience and knowledge with investments; why do you not help us learn? Your links are well chosen, but why not share any written thoughts?

You throw out a statement of: " your asset allocation of 78% bonds and equities at 6% is not in line with current market conditions."

What in the world has anyone learned from that?

Catch

• edited November 2011