Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ratings Posted Through May ... 3 Bottom Fund Families Each With $1B AUM

edited June 2016 in MFO Premium
Posted yesterday 7 June, please find all MFO ratings and fund metrics updated on MFO Premium site through month ending May.

I continue to marvel at results of Fund Family Scorecard. How do poor performing fund management companies persist? Could be that absolute return is not a concern, that it's all about risk adjusted return. Could be that some of the funds did well initially, then went south but investors are too stuck to change. Could be that these firms just have strong marketing and, my friend Ed offers, "write good newsletters." Could be that they are just having a run of bad luck and stuck in an uncooperative and "irrational" market ... but given enough time and a return to sanity, the Great Pumpkin will appear.

There are 30 fund families that have failed to beat their peers with every fund they manage ... 135 funds (oldest share class only) that underperform against their category averages on an absolute return basis since inception, measured from first full month of offering through May 2016.

Three of these families each manage assets of $1B or more ... Dunham, Hussman, and Domini.

Dunham & Associates Investment Counsel, Inc. is a San Diego based firm with a line-up of of 16 funds that "...operate on performance-based advisory fees, also commonly known as Fulcrum Fees, and feature objectives ranging from capital preservation to aggressive growth." Average age 9 years. Average annual expense ratio 1.90% (all share classes). These 16 funds have nearly $1B in assets under management (AUM). None of the 16 have beaten their category averages. How can that be ... ? One clue: 1.9% across 9 years represents a drag of 18%.

Another is Hussman Strategic Advisors Inc. Four funds. $1.1B AUM. I suspect in this case, Dr. Hussman would argue it's about risk adjusted return: "Investing for long-term returns while managing risk". Certainly that appears to be the case with its Strategic Total Return Fund (HSTRX), but what about the other three funds? Like, its flagship Strategic Growth Fund (HSGFX) ... it has been underwater for 92 months now and counting.

Here are some risk profile metrics for HSGFX since inception and across various time frames, including the last two business cycles ... something appears to have gone terribly wrong this cycle.

Finally, at $1.7B AUM ... "Invest in a greener, more peaceful future with Domini Social Investments." Three funds. Average age nearly 17 years.

Its front-loaded, 9-year-old International Social Equity A (DOMAX) has done pretty well the past three and five years, so Amy Domini is quick to post its five star status on her web site ...

Here's a closer look ...

As always, if you see anything amiss with this month's update or have recommendations for improvements, please do not hesitate to email us.

Comments

• I don't know anything about Dunham but I suspect Domini markets their "social awareness"

As for Hussman, I can speak from personal experience. He called the 2008-2009 meltdown right on and had ( and continues to write) attractive and extensive discussions on his web page about his investment philosophy and economic outlook, making HSGFX an attractive candidate for bear markets.

However, Hussman failed to anticipate the bull market from the 2009 low, obviously. He reminds me of Henry G. Van der Eb who runs the Mathers fund. He had wonderful intellectual defenses of why he was in cash throughout the 1990s and 2000s while he lost more and more money.
  • It just boggles the mind Charles. Can you say Steadman Funds? As you stated the reasons run the gamut from the lack of motivation to move the funds to possibly a complete lack of knowledge about what you own and how it's performing. Honestly I tend to believe that a large majority of the holders of these funds were put in them by trusted advisors, advisors that will always be loathe to admit they have made a mistake. Can't figure it out.