Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Has a high price, but......anyone jumped into Cook & Bynum (COBYX)

edited April 2012 in Fund Discussions
I can only think that with asset growth the expense ratio should dwindle down some.....I exchanged a few emails with them and was very impressed. Very informative website as well. If anyone has invested in this fund, your perspectives/reasons would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Can't see any reason to "jump" into this fund. Just a large cap fund with a very high expense ratio.
  • What am I missing? I've never heard of this fund or the management team. What would be the draw to jump in?
  • 10-15 holdings for this fund. Not for this house.
  • I am not a huge fan of sprawling portfolios, although I do hold one Fidelity growth fund, mainly because of its cost and manager........True, the fund is very concentrated, but the small collection of stocks is interesting, and I like to think (and have recently seen) that stock picking is not a lost art when performed by the right people with the right intentions. Maybe I am crazy, but index and so called active funds that are really hidden index funds capturing portions of the market is like paying people to not really apply any mental agility to investing, and yes, I know, the costs are generally lower, but what are you really paying for? Transactions?
  • edited April 2012
    It's kind of interesting in terms of highly concentrated approach, but I'm not really seeing anything compelling in terms of stock selection/performance. Their large holding in Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart De Mexico (those two make up about 20% of the fund) did not fare well today. Not trying to be harsh or anything, I just am not getting the appeal.