Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG September 2016
  • msf September 2016
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Labor Day was Hard Earned

MJG
edited September 2016 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

Labor Day celebrates a struggle that has been mostly won for most Americans. Although it became a National holiday just before the beginning of the 20th century, many battles were fought thereafter. I remember joining my Dad on a picket line that was attacked by strike busters after WW II. It was bloody hand-to-hand combat.

Here is a film, biased from the union's perspective, that presents the historical struggle:

Enjoy. I really liked the music that accompanied this almost one hour presentation. The crystal clear voice of Judy Collins is unforgettable as are the difficult times that are now history. Also enjoy this hard earned holiday.

EDIT: For those not motivated to watch the history, here is a Link to a Judy Collins song that makes a strong case in .three or so minutes:

Best Regards.

Comments

• Nice award-winning movie by the Amalgamated Clothing Workers Union. NYTimes review here.

Unfortunately, your optimism that the struggle "has been mostly won for most Americans", doesn't appear supported by the movie or by history. In the Times review, the director Harold Mayer described the theme of the movie thusly: "That every generation has to win its freedom all over again, or else it will lose it. Nothing remains the same, and no rights, however hard fought for, however seemingly secure, can be taken for granted."

While the movie ostensibly covers the period through the mid 60s (when the movie was made), conspicuous by its absence is post war labor history. A different era began in 1947 when the antipathy of Congress toward labor resulted in the Taft Hartley Act, eviscerating much of the Wagner Act that had enabled unions.

In my feeble attempt to link all this to investing, may I direct people to Amalgamated Bank, created by the Amalgamated Clothing Workers Union and still union-owned. Dedicated to helping workers financially.

Not only workers. Once upon a time, banks wouldn't let women open accounts in their own names, or maybe it was get a credit card. Whatever. Where other banks refused, Amalgamated opened an account for my mother.
  • Hi msf,

Thank you for your interest and reply to my post.

Yes, I drift upward towards optimism. Without an optimistic outlook my job would have been impossible. But that optimism was mostly rewarded.

The referenced video reinforced my optimistic perspective since it permitted me to make an easy comparison between the past and the present. I need not worry my grandchildren working in mines. I need not worry high kid mortality rates. More females graduate with advance college degrees than men, so I need not worry female's working productive, prosperous lifetimes. I need not worry a short lifetime as our average death age increases. The video made these comparisons and many others self-evident.

I spent my early years on a farm without indoor facilities. I never worry about a return to those dire conditions. That would be a grand waste of time. In most ways we are getting better over time with a few exceptions like obesity. Worry if you must; that's not me.

Best Wshes.