Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MFO's "financial-news-aggregators", the others ?

edited May 2012 in Off-Topic
Morn'in Coffee,

The May article regarding "financial-news-aggregators" is an area that affects all of us attempting to gather valid information regarding investments; as well as other areas of personal interest.
The top two were noted; but compared to what? What were the other sites mentioned, that the two finalists were placed against?
If I am shopping for a new or used vehicle and using sites to learn more about a particular model; and find a site that indicates their top choice, with the reasons and also what the vehicle was measured against, I should be able to have a better understanding of their choice. If other sites only state that a particular vehicle is best in its class for "x" number of reasons, that is all well and good; but compared to what other similar vehicles?

MFO article link

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Hi, catch.

Junior and I tried a two-step search. We looked at both Google results for the search term "financial news aggregator" and at the Library of Congress's list of recommended sites.

The former led to mainstream robo-sites (Google News/Business and Yahoo Business News/Mutual Funds - which is a bit narrow and seems prone to channeling press releases), but also to a number of lesser-known sites that we deemed as simply too encyclopedic to be useful. That is, sites that aggregate 20-50 sources, dumping a dozen stories from each, each with a short tag. Such sites include The Street Sleuth, finviz, Alltop and newsflashr. We looked into several RSSs (including Marketwatch's mutual fund RSS which seems only to channel their own content), sites commended by others as "best," "great" or "top" (newsflashr, CEOExpress), and places that struck one or the other of us as poorly designed or bloated (eWallstreeter). The latter (at http://www.loc.gov/rr/business/news/blogs.html) led us to the Smart Briefs site, in our second tier, and a half dozen others.

On whole, I'd guess we discussed 20-30 sites. If there's a general sense that folks would routinely like to see the reject list, we could arrange it. The challenge, in part, is not letting our own work run too long.

For what it's worth,

David
  • Hi David,

Thank you. What and why rejected answered my question.

Take care,
    Catch