Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Fed's Jelly Donut Policy...David Einhorn Commentary

beebee
edited May 2012 in Off-Topic
From His Article:
"too much of a good thing and overdoses are destructive. Chairman Bernanke is presently force-feeding us what seems like the 36th Jelly Donut of easy money and wondering why it isn't giving us energy or making us feel better. Instead of a robust recovery, the economy continues to be sluggish. Last year, when asked why his measures weren't working, he suggested it was "bad luck."

I don't think luck has anything to do with it. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-einhorn/fed-interest-rates_b_1472509.html

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Thanks for that:

Excerpt:
    =====

Chairman Bernanke is presently force-feeding us what seems like the 36th Jelly Donut of easy money and wondering why it isn’t giving us energy or making us feel better. Instead of a robust recovery, the economy continues to be sluggish. Last year, when asked why his measures weren’t working, he suggested it was “bad luck.”

I don’t think luck has anything to do with it. The blame lies in his misunderstanding of human nature. The textbooks presume that easier money will always result in a stronger economy, but that’s a bad assumption. …

If we didn’t have a Jelly Donut monetary policy, I would sell gold, sell bonds and buy stocks. But, the Fed is filled with academics who thoughtlessly rely on econometric models that reflexively indicate that repeated Jelly Donut orgies are the best way to get a sugar rush into the economy. And, the Fed Chairman seems to have no trouble rationalizing any policy failure on the basis that “monetary policy cannot be a panacea,” or “it’s bad luck,” or as proof that he just hasn’t force fed us enough Jelly Donuts, yet. As long as this is the case, it seems unlikely the Fed will change course.

As a result, I will keep a substantial long exposure to gold — which serves as a Jelly Donut antidote for my portfolio. While I’d love for our leaders to adopt sensible policies that would reduce the tail risks so that I could sell our gold, one nice thing about gold is that it doesn’t even have quarterly conference calls.

• The problem is that congress doesn't do anything to help the economy. In the absence of Fiscal stimulation, Monetary policy is the only game and politicos have no problem if the Fed gets the blame. It is fantasy to increase interest rates when the growth is not strong. Just look at Europe for example. Did it work? No, they are now even far behind recovery.
  • Reply to @Investor: Growing the economy to a sustainable pace is only way to recover for this recession. Europe is in a bad shape and US is sadly following the same path.