Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Nuveen Tradewinds funds - NWGAX and NPTAX

Wanted to ask if anyone has the skinny on these funds and their manager David Iben. These are load funds but available without load at Schwab. They look very interesting to me and in this environment am considering NPTAX. My patience with NARFX is running thin. Thinking NPTAX is a good replacement while not an out and out long/short fund.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Comments

• IMO, David Iben is the real deal as I have discussed in numerous posts over at M*. He has consistently delivered at NWGRX, NVORX, NPTIX, NAWIX, and JGV. We have a 12% position in NWGRX, which continues to be available for reasonable minimums in Thinkorswim retirement accounts. I would really try and gain access to the institutional classes of the funds that he manages to keep costs at the lowest possible.

Kevin
  • Iben has performed well in his global funds. He manages a sub advised fund from ING also. He is conventional, but willing to place unconventional bets where he sees value.
  • thanks all for replying. I had almost given up. I have been thinking about these funds for over a year now and am leaning toward NPTAX.

thanks again.
  • I think NARFX is definitely a disappointment; I owned it initially early on but sold it. The fund looked promising and they offered things like shareholder conference calls; 2008 was fine enough, but 2009/2010/2011 were dissapointing even with lower expectations.
  • edited May 2011
    LOL. I heard their shareholder conference calls. At the end of every call, someone would ask "Are there any questions?". Pin drop silence.

I have to say this has been very dissapointing. The managers have pedigree. Then again, you have to admit, things like QE2 put a spanner in the works for objective thinking. I don't think these managers are bad. My problem is they do not seem to be willing to adjust their thinking. They can do the "wrong" thing until the world comes back to their way of thinking. I think Hussman is a little better in that regard. He looks at "market action" and takes position contrary to his beliefs.

Way easier to hold HSGFX than NARFX.