Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TIAA-CREF NTF Lineup

I'm struggling with TIAA-CREF complicated website (everyone should really look at Scottrade) trying to find out which funds they offer NTF in their brokerage accounts. Has anyone figured this out? More importantly, anyone use TIAA-CREF for NTF funds or TIAA-CREF funds?

I'm really looking for another brokerage account but I need NTF lineup.

Comments

• I've never been able to find a listing. I do know an advisor there and asked him to pass along some feedback - that the brokerage information for DIYers is close to nonexistent.

While TIAA has traditionally been focused on assisted investing (they provide extensive help with their 403(b) plans, and have been moving into advisor-managed accounts), it has a lot of catching up to do for the DIY market.

The best I've been able to do is find a list of families offered, where families have asterisks if at least one of their funds is available NTF. Something interesting is that American Funds has an asterisk. This is interesting because supposedly only Fidelity and Schwab are carrying any AF funds NTF, and because the listing is dated August 2016. I think that predates AF announcement of its NTF offerings.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what that says about the info on this list.

Also of note is that Franklin Templeton is starred. That could be for Mutual Series funds like MDISX (which M* lists as TIAA-CREF NTF). T. Rowe Price is starred, but that could be for their Advisor class shares (that carry an extra 12b-1 fee, such as PASVX). All in all, hard to find anything unusual that pops out.

https://www.tiaa.org/public/pdf/MF_families.pdf
  • @msf - thank you so much for taking the time. What you provided already is so much better than absolutely nothing. I can try take a brute force approach on the *ed fund families to get a reasonable conclusion on funds that are NTF.