Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

GDXJ & GDX...briefly positive at 11 am...

beebee
edited May 2012 in Fund Discussions
GDXJ lowest share price just after inception was $22.17...today it is trading at $20.85...up 2% on the day...hmm.

GDX also up 2%. Interesting up moves on an overall down day for the market.

Comments

• lol. I'd like to think it's people recognizing value in the miners, but with my luck it's short covering (I still have a very small position in DWGOX, which - while down for the year - has actually done better than most in the category; it's largely Canadian names.)
  • Reply to @scott:

I like the 6.67% yield you receive while being sliced and diced. Good luck...pass the band aids please.
  • Reply to @bee: Thanks.:)

I think it's tough - it sort of reminds me of the value discussion in the Nokia thread. The gold stocks are values. However, for whatever reason (people wanting gold instead of gold stocks, people doing trades of short gold stocks long gold, etc) it hasn't been realized. I do think that people have to spread their commodity bets around - in ag (more people on the planet, less ag land), energy and metals. I think whether it's Nokia or gold stocks, it's great to have a portion devoted to finding those values, but I wouldn't devote large portions to sectors or individual names where one has to be waiting around - possibly for ages - for value to be realized.

I own a real estate stock that is heavily in Greek resorts. That's deep value, but it's a small position - at 35 cents a share, it's a lottery ticket. I think the land itself is worth a lot more than 35 cents a share (book value is quite a bit higher), but whether or not that value is realized ... who knows.