Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Treasury Bond 'Bubble' Is Nothing To Fear

Comments

• beebee
    edited May 2012
    Thanks Ted,

A strategy I am trying to refine goes something like this...

Zero Coupon and Extended Duration LT Bond prices (not yield) can be a very choppy ride just like any investment. I use EDV, Vanguard's Extended Duration ETF in combination with other Vanguard ETF Equity holdings together as a "paired investment". I have found this "paired investment" strategy helps with the "ying and the yang" of bonds and equities. I try to re-balance between these "paired investment" as they move 10% opposite one another.

Here's an example over the last three months. If I owned VTI, Vanguard Total Stock and EDV, Vanguard Extended Duration US Treasuries as a "paired investment" there would have been a sell signal on 3/18/2012 because the difference between the two funds reach 10 percent (4% gain by VTI and a 6% loss by EDV).

The idea is to sell a little bit of the winning of one long term holding (in the example 4% of VTI and buy a little bit of the other long term holding (in this case EDV).

The Math on this chart:
    Feb 3rd you hold $10,000 (143.143 shares) of VTI. On 3/19/2012 VTI gains 4% = $10,400.
    Feb 3rd you hold $10,000 ( 89.032 shares) of EDV. On 3/39/2012 EDV losses 6% = $9,400.

At Vanguard I have to buy and sell whole shares of ETFs so I would sell 6 shares of VTI (6*72.73=$436.36). I would buy 4 shares of EDV (4*105.63=$422.52). There is a need for a cash position to allow both transaction to happen on the same day.