Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Army-Navy War

MJG
edited December 2016 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

Make no mistake about the importance of the annual Army-Navy game. For both sides of the football, it is not a game, it is a war. The outcome will be remembered by both Army and Navy First Classmen forever.

Navy has the superior won/loss record this year and has a 14-year winning streak. The knowledgeable experts have rewarded them with roughly a 2 to 1 odds advantage. I suspect these experts have about the same forecasting record as those in the investment business. So I'm not overly impressed.

The underdog odds seem attractive, especially since this particular war will be fought with high emotions. Consequently, the impact of talent will be diminished, and luck will be a major factor like in many sporting and investment events.

I predict an Army victory. Go Army!

Truth be told, I always favor the Army team. The last decade or more has been painful given the outcomes, but I remain optimistic. It's not that I'm a slow learner. It's mostly about that I'm an Army veteran. In this instance, loyalty overpowers wisdom when making a supportive decision. Sometimes, that's also true when making an investment decision.

Your thoughts on this "war" will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards.

Comments

• Howdy young man,

I will take Navy of course, being a jarhead. However, I believe their star went down this past game so WTF knows.

OoohRah!

peace,

Sgt. Rono
  • @MJG: Navy by 14 !
    Regards,
    Ted
    USMC
  • They sure looked tough against ND, though ND is not good this year. But good QB is out, as is one of the leading runners.
  • Army 21 Navy 17

Derf
  • Hi Guys,

Persistence can change defeat into a victory. But in this instance it took 15 years of persistence to accomplish that goal. I don't claim any prescience, perhaps just some luck given the many turnovers in the game. I should be so lucky in my portfolio selections.

Thanks for participating.

Best Wishes.
  • tough loss
    yay for army persistence
    navy sub QB looked great on that run