Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Rollover IRA distinct?

edited May 2012 in Off-Topic
I ran into a comment lately, I guess on the M* discussion board. Someone was advising someone else not to mix "new" money with the money that is already contained in an old 401k or 403b and rolled-over to become a "Rollover" IRA.... Um, how come? I think one advantage that was mentioned was just the PROSPECT of needing to file for bankruptcy. Things would be simpler if no NEW money were deposited beforehand into the Rollover????
.......Anything else that might be good to know? Because I've HAD a 403b, but its been transmogrified into a TRP Rollover IRA now. I should just watch and let it---hopefully--- grow on its own, without additional deposits? Thanks for your responses.

Comments

• Hi Max,

I recently did a 403b IRA to self direct IRA rollover at TRP. I wanted to keep my fund positions rather sell them...go to cash...convert...and repurchase same shares. I was instructed to complete the transfer "in kind". This kept all my fund positions intact and the rollover was just a matter of recoding the account as a self directed IRA. This could be important if you no longer meet the fund minimums or if the fund is closed.

On a separate but related topic, when one does a Roth conversion there is a strategy where separate Roth conversion accounts can be established which hold small amounts of money (say $3-5K) in unique investments ideas such as: sector funds, concentrated bond fund or whatever you think will out perform in the short term. I mention "in the short term" because Roth conversion have the unique feature of re-characterization...by the middle of October in the year you convert.

This let you look at the performance of that distinct (investment) and decide whether to maintain it as a Roth conversion (pay taxes) or re-characterize the account back to a Self Directed IRA status and continue deferring taxes. A candidate for conversion would be the account that outperformed...the candidate for re-characterization would be the fund that under performed.

By using small individual roth conversion accounts you can convert outperforming investments and re-characterize under performing assets because they reside in distinct individual accounts.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi, I appreciate those informative responses. Thanks for taking the time. I can't see me ever returning to my old career and thereby wanting to re-convert again, back to a 403b. For very different reasons, I may decide not to add to that pot in THIS lifetime anyhow, because it is outsized compared to everything else I'm holding in the portfolio. The explanations you've offered may not apply to me, but it would be self-defeating to ADD to this IRA, which is a single fund right now: PREMX. Self-defeating, because becoming sufficiently diversified is a constant, constant challenge, hanging over my head. It has always been so......I am heavily into quarterly and monthly dividend-payers these days, particularly since being pushed out of full-time, career-type work. Still reinvesting everything, though, and adding to portfolio.
  • If it is not co-mingled and you get a new job that has a 401k, 403b etc. you might have the option of rolling this IRA back to 401k, 403 etc. so you can gain bankruptcy protection.

Other than that, Rollover IRA is just a Traditional IRA with a different label. From IRS point of view they are all one IRA (irrespective of how many accounts the IRA is distributed over).
  • OK, Thank you. Short and sweet.