Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ping: Skeeter///hank

edited May 2011 in Off-Topic
Skeet, intended to reply to your thoughtful post in the thread started by Yup yesterday, but cant find it. Maybe it was deleted? Anyhow, intended to thank you for your many contributions to FA over the years as well as the ones you have already posted here. Following how you monitor your allocation and make small tactical changes is a good example for all of us. Not that we should follow anyone blindly, but your posts have always been a good brain stimulator. Understand your stated desire to cling to the old board and we're all sad to see it go. But in the end its the people that make a board successful and judging by the caliber of the folks who've migrated here or joined new, I believe MFO will succeed and that you will enjoy and benefit from it in time. Look forward to reading your posts here on a more regular basis. Regards, hank

Comments

• Thanks hank for your comments. I will be here in good time and I thank David and his crew for getting a site up and running on such short notice ... Although, I like the format of the old site better. As Cee said, "it is an in your face" type site. I took this to mean, that when you went to the site the dicussions were right in front of you when you opened it up ... and, it was easy to see the replies. I about did not notice it.

Thanks again for your ping.

Skeeter
  • Thats great news. Good to know you'll be coming over here in due time
  • maybe off topic?
    would like a little help with the meaning of ntip ping
    and other text wording or definition of these words.
    an older newby circa33
    regards & thanks
  • Hi Circa 33. Termonology is a throw back to the Fund Alarm board where lota us migrated over from. NTIP means "no text in post". On that board it allowed for quick one-line responses without reader having to click and pull up any additional text. Here it probably means that the poster has nothing more to add, wants to keep comment short and to the point. EOM (end of message) and NM (no message) were also used for same purpose. PING is a way of calling someones attention to your post, usually a question or comment directed to them. We couldnt send letters to each other on the old board so this served an important purpose. Here, I think its a nice way of communicating directly with another member while at the same time letting everybody in on the issue. Sometimes folks who were not actually pinged responded to the ping anyway. Which was allowed and often helpful.
  • Hank.
    Thank you for the information.I was a lurker on FA for a short time.
    I use Amazon to help make a small contribution to Mutual Fund Observer
    Again thanks for your time
    REGARDS
    circa33