Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Invest With An Edge ... Leadership Strategy Update ... May 29th

edited May 2012 in Fund Discussions
Hello,

I have not posted this in a while ... and, I thought it might be of an interest for some. Notice, money market is currently mid way in the pack and has moved upward off the botton position. To me, this speaks volumes about risk in the market and confirms my desire to hold more cash than normal within my portfolio.

http://investwithanedge.com/leadership-strategy

Have a good week ... and, Good Investing,
Skeeter

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Is there an internal link at this site which indicates a base amount of money invested from August, 2008 (first newsletter) and the growth of the noted buys from the beginning to date, or from his subscripton newsletter here?:
    http://allstarinvestor.com/
  • Hi Catch 22,

I have linked below a contact link to Ron Rowland. Perhaps he can provide the information you seek.

http://www.allstarinvestor.com/public/department6.cfm

I hope this is helpful.

Skeeter
  • RBC Wealth Management

Michael D. Ruccio, AAMS
    Senior Vice President -Financial Advisor
    25 Hanover Road
    Florham Park, NJ 07932-1407
    (p) (866) 248-0096
    (f) (973) 966-0309
    [email protected]
    michaelruccio.com

related - rbc wealth management article

Market Week: May 29, 2012
    The Markets
    Equities came out of the gate strong on Monday and managed to snap their recent losing streak, with the small-cap Russell 2000 taking the baton from the larger caps. Meanwhile, the euro fell to a two-year low of $1.25 and oil slid to roughly $90 a barrel, while gold saw a slight bounce to end the week near $1,558 an ounce.

Market/Index 2011 Close Prior Week As of 5/25 Week Change YTD Change
    DJIA 12217.56 12369.38 12454.83 .69% 1.94%
    Nasdaq 2605.15 2778.79 2837.53 2.11% 8.92%
    S&P 500 1257.60 1295.22 1317.82 1.74% 4.79%
    Russell 2000 740.92 747.21 766.41 2.57% 3.44%
    Global Dow 1801.60 1754.30 1760.51 .35% -2.28%
    Fed. Funds .25% .25% .25% 0 bps 0 bps
    10-year Treasuries 1.89% 1.71% 1.75% 4 bps -14 bps

Equities data reflect price changes, not total return.

Last Week's Headlines
    The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development and the head of the International Monetary Fund called for greater shared liability among eurozone members for one another's debts. The moves raised hopes for the prospects of a joint "eurobond" and could undermine the triple-A rated countries' insistence on unpopular austerity measures. Meanwhile, as talk of a Greek exit from the eurozone grew louder, leaders continued to gamely insist they want to avoid a "Grexit," even as data from European businesses raised concerns about weaker economic activity. The uncertainty pushed the yield at a German auction of short-term debt to zero as investors sought a safe(r) haven.
    In other sovereign-credit news, Fitch downgraded Japan by two notches, from AA to A+. The rating agency said the decision was because of the country's high level of debt (more than 200% of its gross domestic product--an even higher ratio than Greece's more than 160%, according to the International Monetary Fund).
    Spain's government was hit with additional bailout requests. Bankia, one of the country's largest banks, said it will need a substantially larger amount than previously thought, and the regional Catalonian government said it also needs help paying its debts.
    In the United States, sales of existing homes jumped 3.4% in April and, according to the National Association of Realtors®, both the median price and overall sales were up 10% compared to the previous April. It was the 10th straight month of higher year-over-year sales. New home sales also improved; the Commerce Department said new home sales rose 3.3% for the month and were up almost 10% from the year before, though the median sales price increased only about 5%.
    Durable goods orders saw their second increase in three months. The Commerce Department said demand for cars and car parts helped push orders up 0.2% in April.
    Faceplant: After Facebook's share price plummeted in the days following its IPO, the Securities and Exchange Commission said it is looking into whether firms that underwrote the offering warned key clients at the last minute about the company's financial challenges without also making the information available to the investing public.
    Changing of the guard: Days after the Facebook IPO, computer maker Hewlett-Packard announced the company would lay off 27,000 employees--8% of its workforce--over the next two years. CEO Meg Whitman said the decision was designed to help the company address the growth of such forces as mobile devices and cloud computing.

Eye on the Week Ahead
    The holiday-shortened week will be packed with economic data. As always, Friday's unemployment numbers will be closely watched, as will any revisions to the 2.2% initial estimate of first-quarter GDP growth. European Central Bank President Mario Monti is scheduled to speak on Wednesday; given the uncertain situation with Spain and Greece, investors will be watching for any additional ECB response.

• Hi johnN,

Enjoy reading through many items posted here; but why is this piggy-backed to this original post regarding Ron Rowland?

Thanks,
    Catch
  • Please be careful relying on the recommendations of Ron Rowland. I invested with his newsletter long time ago. The only really successful strategy was the single fund Fidelity select portfolio. It was wonderful for about 15 years. And then several years ago it stopped working, perhaps due to the trendless market. Moreover, it became very bad, losing lots of money. I stopped using it. Few months ago I checked its recent performance using Hulbert database. It did not improve. Ron Rowland is very clever, and you may use the information he provides to make your own decisions, but please check his performance using the Hulbert database before you decide to follow his recommendations.
  • Hi andrei,
    Thank you for this personal insight. Many of us have received any number of mailings over the years regarding "so and so" and their investment programs. The internet has produced many more of these projects attempting to get our attention. Fidelity in particular has had many folks over the years attempt trading programs directed at Fidelity's select funds; as these were an early form of etf funds.
    While we are able to track the past performance of a fund 15 years backwards or more; this is all I would seek from someone expressing the value of their methods and investment returns.
    I am not picking on Mr. Rowland, and it is apparent he has and does spend a lot of time with his writings and investment areas thoughts. I would also expect to find from 1991 in his case; a full listing of archive details for investment periods and the results of those investment calls.
    Without such details, there is nothing of value to discovered about the quality of someone's judgments in the past; that may very well reflect upon judgments today.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @andrei: Perhaps that is why there is strong support by many on using index funds.
  • Reply to @ron: I don't think whether or not these news letters are worth while pertain to using index funds or managed funds. In fact, it would be easier to use Rowlands system with index funds.