Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Historical data from Yahoo

I was trying to download monthly historical data for XLU from Yahoo and all it seems to have is from early 2014 when the history of the fund goes back to the end of 1998. Six months ago I was able to download daily data for the entire history.

Is anyone aware if Yahoo has changed their approach and/or is anyone else having similar problems? I can't find anywhere else to download the data for free, especially with dividend adjusted closes that are important to the calculations I'm trying to do.

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• LLJB, Stockcharts.com has daily open, high, low, and close prices for XLU, from the end of 1998, adjusted for any splits, dividends, and distributions. To get it, chart XLU, and click on "Past Data" right under the chart. Does this help?
  • Thanks, Tony! I would need to have an account in order to see the link you're talking about. Maybe I'll sign up for a free trial if I can't find another way.
  • LLJB, I have a subscription, and even when I am logged out, I think I don't see the same screens that you would. However, I don't think you even need a trial sub to get the data; my concern was if you needed unadjusted data.

Here's how I think you can get what they have. Go to www.stockcharts.com. On the upper left, click on FREE CHARTS. Under Create a SharpChart enter XLU in the box and click on Go. Right under the chart that you get, there is a clock face icon in the middle of the row. Next to it, click on Past Data to get what I first described.
  • Thanks, Tony! I don't get the clock face or Past Data link when I create the SharpChart but I found another friend who has an account and could do it for me. Thanks for your help!