Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Tons of people desperate for yield crowding into an ETN (not an ETF, ETN) issued by a bank with a balance sheet that's a tad, shall we say, opaque?
  • wonderin if this is the initiation of 2nd crash, feels very edgies like early summer 2008
  • edited June 2012
    Reply to @johnN: Europe really isn't fixable. QE3 won't fix anything, although that sort of thing will likely cause another temporary boost.

At some point market realizes this, then things get interesting. I think you're kind of seeing that at this point. If you believe that the Fed is going to come in and keep things up at any cost - then one has to be protected against that possibility.

I think Jacob Rothschild said it well the other day:

"Recovery may come, but not in months.
    In this reality, markets oscillate as
    before. Investment success in public markets
    has become a game of timing rather than
    fundamentals.
    The Western world may have finally woken up last
    year: it realised that the crash of 2008 was not just
    another market event, quickly to be recovered from."

"The
    debt mountain in government and households is just
    too high. The legacy of debt has first to be worked off.
    And that – people and markets now see – will take
    years. Recovery may come, but not in months. There
    are signs now that the impact from the loss of
    Western spending power has started to affect China
    too. In this reality, markets oscillate as before. But the
    ups do not last. And they are succeeded by falls.
    Unless one has a long horizon, investment success in
    public markets has become a game of timing rather
    than fundamentals."

People are desperate for yield, I think in many cases that won't end well but could go on for ages and depends on the asset.

I think the retail investor is WAY gone. I can't wait to see next week's fund flow data. That said, it becomes a matter of whether or not those who remain want to stay or head for the exits.

Dividend paying stocks are doing well, but it becomes a matter of what happens if things get worse and how long those hold up. I think there is a real chance that things could get very out-of-hand to a degree larger than the downgrade last year if some decisions are not made very quickly.

I don't think people should leave the market entirely, but it is an issue at this point where one has to be incredibly careful, incredibly skeptical (all this talk that the financials are "values" is BS - they don't know their own books in many cases) and have an incredibly long-term view. People need to not leave the markets entirely, but take their risk level down to where they can sleep at night - and then some.

This all - quite simply - is a mess.