Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stock Market Rout Is a Reality Check for Bulls

This is hardly a crisis. The markets’ facile assumptions about the “Trump bump” are simply being unwound.

http://www.barrons.com/articles/stock-market-rout-is-a-reality-check-for-bulls-1495057383?mod=djemb_dr_h&mg=id-barrons&tesla=y

Comments

• @PRESSmUP & MFO Members: ( This is a Barron's subscription read, however; (By Clicking On Article Title At Top Of Google Search We Can All Read.)
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://www.google.com/#q=Stock+Market+Rout+Is+a+Reality+Check+for+Bulls
  • edited May 2017
    Far from being a rout. Less than 2% off the DJ & S&P today. Bonds, gold and some REITS did well due to falling interest rates. Personally I've been hoping for a 10% or so market pullback as a chance to put a little cash to work.

However, if you just fell off the turnip truck, than I guess today qualifies as a rout.
  • Good post, hank. Totally agree with your observation. And blaming the current president's problems, real or fantasy, for the drop is silly at best. Many of us have been expecting, maybe hoping for, a 5-10% pullback to load up the truck.
  • I believe the article doesn't merely ascribe yesterday's loss to near term politics.

If you're waiting for a pullback, the question becomes what could be the catalyst for that to occur. The author indicates that the market rise was partly due to the anticipated tax cuts and other legislative items which were served up in hazy broad strokes by the administration.

If those legislative items are in jeopardy, there may indeed be a market reaction.