Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dealing with retirement (drawdowns)

msf
edited June 2012 in Off-Topic
Spoke with an investment rep a couple of weeks ago. He tossed off a casual remark that most people manage their tax-sheltered and taxable portfolios together, while what they ought to be doing is managing them differently. Specifically, in a drawdown phase, keeping the income investments in the taxable account, and the growth investments in the tax-sheltered account.

I didn't discuss this with him, but am curious about what others think. My own thinking, ever the one to disagree for the sake of disagreeing:-), is the opposite. If one keeps the income (e.g. bonds/bond funds) in a tax-sheltered account, then one has investments that are taxed at a lower rate (equities) in the taxable account. When one needs to draw, you can sell off some equities.

At the same time, you use the cash from your income investments in your IRA (or whatever) to buy back those equities (equity funds, etc.) in the IRA. What this accomplishes is to leave you in the same position as if you'd had the bonds in the taxable account and just drawn the interest. But the tax treatment is better.

If the equities appreciated, wonderful, you've gotten the income (via appreciation) at a lower tax rate. If they've gone down in value, you harvest a capital loss that you wouldn't have recognized in the IRA. (You do have to be careful in this case to buy in the IRA securities that are not "substantially identical" to the ones you just sold at a loss, otherwise you'll have a wash sale.) And you'll still be back to where you would have been had you followed "conventional wisdom" and kept the equities in the IRA all along.

Am I missing something that is obvious to the rest of the world?

Comments

• Taxable and tax-sheltered portfolios should be managed together but asset placement should be done carefully.

In this respect, I disagree with this investment rep. My understanding is like you. Income producing products should be tax sheltered while growth products (i.e those that that do not throw much income should be in taxable.

1) That way if you are re-investing the income produced by the income products you are not paying off current taxes. So, your assets can grow over time better. During distribution phase bond income will be taxed as income just like any withdrawal from IRA's. So, there is no disadvantage of placing bonds in tax-sheltered accounts. You pay the same tax rate.

2) Growth instruments do not throw out excessive income. So, current taxes are low. However, since long term capital gains are taxed at lower rate, holding these outside of tax-sheltered accounts could better.

3) You can also do capital loss harvesting for equities in taxable by selling lots that have lost and pairing those with sales from that appreciated.

These assume that tax code will stay similar to current situation and you do not turn over your holdings in taxable account much.
  • Thanks. What I was trying to convey is the issue of how one allocates investments when one is living off of generated income and/or gains (drawdown phase). My feeling is that since cash is fungible, it really doesn't matter where the income products are (for drawdown purposes), so long as you can tap the income they generate efficiently.

By keeping the income products in the IRA, one's taxes are reduced (we are both stating the obvious here). What I was suggesting is that income is income - the fact that the income shows up in the IRA doesn't matter. One can get the generated income out of the IRA by selling equities in the taxable account and buying them back in the IRA. In that way, one maintains the same overall position, but has moved the cash out of the IRA into the taxable account (and equities from the taxable account into the IRA).

The reason people want income generating investments in retirement is that they don't want to be selling volatile equities at the wrong time. It's dollar cost averaging in reverse - when the market is down, you sell more shares (to get the same number of dollars out), and when the market is up, you sell fewer shares. So you wind up selling more at the worst times.

But with the technique I suggested above, you're not altering your market exposure. You keep the same equity investments, and you have the income generated in the IRA (thus sheltering it from taxes). At least that's my theory.

• edited June 2012
    Thanks for raising issue. Guess I fit the rep's mold of one who manages both together - though admit this isn't the best approach. I have tried to be bit more aggressive in the Roth - thinking this probably longer term $$. What you might be "missing" is this: If one expects to tap the tax-sheltered assets lastly, than that becomes the longer duration portfolio and therefore the most fitting place for longer duration investments (equities). Nothing profound there - all I can think of. I'll say that during drawdown phase, it's very tempting to pull $$ from the non-sheltered portion first. Example: I need 25k for a major purchase - perhaps a new car. To get 25k from the "sheltered" side, I need to withdraw approximately 35k and immediately hand over the excess 10k to government to satisfy the tax hit. Net-Net - I get 25k for immediate use, but experience a 35k hit to the portfolio's "value" and to its future earning potential. Now, maybe a case of "penny smart and pound foolish" - but the temptation is powerful. It took awhile to understand your position MSF and yes you are correct if one had the discipline to follow through and shift those assets within the sheltered portion after selling similar in the non sheltered.
  • Reply to @msf: I think selling equities in taxable and buying them back in IRA is an interesting technique. My only concern is that this can make RMD bigger later on.
  • Reply to @msf: One can also use muni bond funds in taxable account if he/she is in 28% or above tax bracket. If one lives in high income tax states such as New York or California, singe state muni bond funds would be reasonable choices.
  • Reply to @Sven: Good point, and with munis traditionally paying 80-90% of treasuries, merely a 25% bracket (especially in high tax states like NY/Calif.) would be more than enough to make them worthwhile.

I think that what you're suggesting is that since munis pay so much, it might even make sense to keep them in taxable accounts instead of keeping taxable bonds in IRAs. Though one defers taxes for years in the IRA, ultimately one could be paying over 1/3 in taxes (combined fed/state/local) - a much bigger bite than the 10-20% lower yield from munis.

Using munis (in a taxable account) instead of taxable bonds (in an IRA) could make sense for US government/corporate bonds. Less so for foreign bonds, since foreign bonds provide a different type of diversification. Nevertheless, a very good point. Worth thinking about moving bonds around.

• Reply to @msf: The decision would be more apparent after considering the before- and after-tax return. For those in higher tax bracket, munis are viable alternatives to treasury, corporate bonds and foreign bonds. Mind that all bonds have interest rate and credit risks, thus one needs to be careful with respect to duration of the portfolio, and the average quality of munis held within the funds. Foreign bonds adds currency and sovenign risks. Often they correlate more strongly to equity instead of that traditional bonds during market downturn.

For risk management perspective allocation to munis bond in taxable account makes sense to manage volatility while generating decent income. Vanguard offers a low cost vehicle, Tax-Managed Balanced Index fund (VTMFX) - 50/50 S&P500 - federal munis at 0.12% ER.
    https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0103&FundIntExt=INT

IRAs at withdraw are tax at one's current tax bracket, and that can be sizable as you mentioned. The common wisdom (or lack of) is that he/she will most likely in lower tax bracket at retirement, but that is not a guarantee depending on a number of situation. Thus the combined federal & state income tax would take as much as 1/3 of one's IRA withdraw each year. Only Roth IRA (paid with after tax dollars) would exempt from tax, but this may change.