Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar, Day One: "the role of high quality fixed income is not to make you money"

Susan Byrne offered an interesting take on fixed income investing, who managed Westwood Balanced from 1991 - 2012, was less flustered by low bond yields than were others. She argued that "the role of high quality fixed income is not to make you money, it's to hedge deflationary environments where everything else is falling. It provides liqudity and, quite frankly, sanity" during down markets and should be appreciated for those contributions, not be adding alpha.

For what it's worth,

David

Comments

• Hey, David; thank you and enjoy yourself, too.
    Thank you for the posts and keeping us on the front lines, too.

I will provide a "yup" to Susan Byrne's statement; and add that one should not be flustered with low yield bond funds that are attracting money; at least, as of today. We will know about tomorrow and the next days as they arrive.

Regards,
    Catch

• Many individual investors have a difficult time understand this, David. Sometimes it just fine that bond funds don't make us money, and this will undoubtedly be true as interest rates rise in the years ahead (at least I hope they do, or we are in big doo-doo). After 30 years of a bond bull market, investors have forgotten the true role of bonds in a portfolio.
  • Q&A with Susan Byrne at M*:

Finding Dividends in Health Care and Energy

Westwood's Susan Byrne says the shop's funds have balanced lower-volatility health-care stocks with inflation-resistant energy names, while banking on a good history of dividend increases in both sectors.

http://www.morningstar.com/Cover/videoCenter.aspx?id=557702

• It's hard to buy into that comment, "the role of high quality fixed income is not to make you money". If you take that literally, you might as well be in a money market account instead of bonds. So I guess I'm one of those who has a hard time understanding this. As part of a balanced portfolio using bonds to lower volatility, don't you have an expectation for returns?

I've always heard you need your fixed income to return in the 6% range. Past equity returns have historically been ~ 10-11%. In a 60:40 balanced portfolio you could expect average portfolio returns of ~8-9%. Granted, many (including myself) believe equity and bond returns will be lower going forward, but you get the drift - fixed income has to give you some return on your investment. It's not just a place-holder for stability.

Now if you except what Fuss and Hasenstab said recently in a interview with M*, you will have to take extra risk to get returns from the fixed income side of your portfolio. If you don't you would have to take that added risk on the equity side, wouldn't you? Returns don't come without risk. Heck, investing in LSBRX and TGBAX is adding risk to a fixed income portfolio, but risk worth taking by my 2cents.

Fuss and Hasenstab interview:
    http://news.morningstar.com/articles/article/557172/on-the-go-for-fixed-income.aspx
  • edited June 2012
    Howdy Mike,

You noted: " As part of a balanced portfolio using bonds to lower volatility, don't you have an expectation for returns?"
    I believe to understand that her statement leans towards current protection during erratic equity markets. One would suppose to the point, that even if yields in IG bonds don't move around too much, that the monies would be fairly liquid and at least retain value. If she is more of a "bond" person, she may be seeing more rough equity waters ahead.
    I will note, not that others are not unaware of or have not seen this during conversations among those on tv and in article writes; that, there are those in the equity and the bond worlds of investments that do not cross the lines of what they see and find to be correct going forward. Mostly by chance, I have heard the answer to the question; "Do you invest in "x" at all?" Reply, "No, I don't invest in equities or bonds."; depending on the person's leanings for investments. Both worlds will product excellent profits if the person is skilled and especially if they use the other tools available to "adjust" their holdings.
    Our house had been a 90% equity house from 1979, until June of 2008. The transistion among the equity bumps here and there (March 2009-today) to bonds has been an interesting journey. The transistion may have happen to some extent; as retirement is just around the corner, but avoiding most of the market melt and moving to bonds opened the door much sooner.
    At the very least, we have become more diversified in our knowledge and thinking about investments.
    The big work is picking apart the numerous sectors that are the equity and bond worlds; and finding the comfort zone of blend for the risk and reward.

Note: our cash is in bond funds, versus MM accts. And we do expect to earn a few bucks from any of our bond fund holdings.

Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • edited June 2012
    Reply to @MikeM: The point might be put a little differently, something like "the role of high quality fixed income is to make you some money, while potentially saving you a lot of money."

On the blended stock-bond portfolio return question, I like Catch's take so much I'll repeat it here:

"The big work is picking apart the numerous sectors that are the equity and bond worlds; and finding the comfort zone of blend for the risk and reward."

Amen, bro'.

Edit: It may pay to remember that bonds overall are not a monolithic asset class; here Byrne is talking about high-quality bonds.
  • Reply to @MikeM: Mike, I agree that you re-think your long-term expectations for both bonds and stocks. We tell our clients to expect 2-4% from bonds over the next 10 years, and 8-10% for stocks, with an average 60stock/40bond return of around 5%. This could very well be too low, but when we use 4-5% in our retirement income projections, we would rather be using conservative assumptions. And if you consider that we have been in a 30-year bull market, declining interest rate environment for bonds, it seems only logical to assume returns will be lower going forward. So your lower-expectation comments are right on. But 2-4% seems pretty good, knowing that some funds will do much better, while others will struggle to break even. And, yes, I agree that some risk in bonds is worth taking. But that is not the case for every investor. Many bond investors would prefer to have NO risk to principle, but they don't think about interest rate risk and inflation risk and how they can negatively beat up their bond portfolio. But I'm with you...give me Fuss/Gaffney and Hasenstab just about any day.
  • Reply to @BobC: Just to confirm, 8-10% and 2-4% from stocks/bonds over the next 10 years in total or 8-10/2-4 average *yearly* over the next 10?
  • Byrne's pretty level headed from what I've seen of her. Some thoughts: (1) The longer the bond the greater the hedge. A 100-year bond would indeed be a powerful deflation hedge. Conversely, gold might represent an equally powerful inflation hedge. (2) Is one's need to hedge against deflation as critical as the need to hedge against inflation? (I could live with $1 gas. At $15, however, darned well better have grown my nest-egg.) (3) Why would small retail investors feel more confident using hedging strategies themselves than in allowing a seasoned money manager to do it for them? OAKBX, for example, employes hedging using long bonds & natural resource companies - though even they have bailed from bonds in recent years and doubt they find gold attractive. (4) As already noted, many retail investors don't comprehend Byrne's point.

• Reply to @hank:
    While $1 gas may sound enticing, I feel that deflation is a much worse scenario than inflation, and most people would not be able to live with $1 gas. That would mean a totally dead economy - no products being moved, no jobs, and people unable to afford gasoline even at that price. Not that they'd need it - they wouldn't be going anywhere.

We've had a small taste of deflationary assets with the bursting of the housing bubble. Did wonders for consumption and the economy:-( For people not heavily into cash, their spending power would not be any higher in a time of $1 gas. Worse, they'd be spending even less for at least three reasons:
    - Feeling poorer (again, look at how people reacted to housing price declines)
    - Likely unemployed and needing to conserve assets
    - Waiting for prices to drop even further (the opposite of inflation, where people run out to spend before prices go up)

Some bond holders would lose out as well. With the economy failing, defaults would shoot up. And that appreciation on TIPS? You'd be giving it back, losing value.

I'm really not into doomsday scenarios, but that $1 gas suggests one.

I prefer to think of bonds (and cash) not so much as hedges against this sort of deflation, but rather against short-to-midterm volatility when one does need cash. An old rule of thumb is not to invest money that you'd need within 5 years, and not to invest in equities with money you'd need in less than 10. That's your "hedge" against deflation - not needing to sell assets at a time where they are _temporarily_ devalued.

Which is also why I think that doing asset allocation by age doesn't work - it's a matter of what you need to spend, not how old you are. If you're spending 4%/year, then a 60/40 split (10 years worth of bonds/cash) works fine. But if you're spending more or less, then the asset allocation shifts.
  • Reply to @BobC: Thanks Bob. I very much respect your comments. My income side right now consists of an index fund that mimics the Barclays U.S. Aggregate Bond Index, plus managed funds MWTRX, LSBDX and FGBRX. I also have in this bucket RPSIX, which I know at this point has ~14% income oriented equities. All the managed funds have allocation risk, but pretty good management behind them.

Your comments on balanced returns is interesting and believable, but somewhat depressing. Five years ago, I can remember inputting 8% return into those retirement calculators. Recently as I get closer to retirement, likely by my employers call, I've been using 6% as a factor. Your 4-5% is probably a better factor to use in planning, just to be safe rather than sorry.

Thanks for the input.
  • Reply to @msf: While your logic is impeccable, (just for the sake of argument) we need go back only to 1998 to get that $1 gas. Check out the second chart (in red).

http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/2012/03/14/charting-the-dramatic-gas-price-rise-of-the-last-decade/

• Reply to @hank:
    Interesting chart. I knew we broke the 50c barrier in the '73-'74 OPEC embargo (even/odd gas days), and broke a buck in the '79 oil crisis (2 hour waits for gas). But I did not realize that gas prices effectively plateaued for decades.
  • Question..... How does the interest paid on savings account compare to the price at the pump. 1964-68 CDs ( 6 month) were paying 4%-5% --- gas 35-40 cents ( I maybe high)
    2009-11 Cds ( 6 months) were paying .87%,.46%,.42%.

If per say I had $1000 in saving account in '68 I could use the interest to buy ($45 / .35 = 130 gallons. How much would I need to save from '68 to present, to use the interest to purchase 130 gals at todays gas price of $3.40 ??? Would $220 -230 k be enough? If I were to take gas mileage into the equation I'm guessing I'd need $2000 back in 1968....... My head is starting to hurt...

Have a good weekend All
  • Reply to @Derf:
    Don't know about gas prices vs. rates of return (and am not curious enough right now to research it), but I did just read about the Pizza Connection: Since 1960 the price of a slice of pizza has closely tracked the price of a subway ride. So if you held onto a token (no longer used, alas), you could always swap it for a slice, even up.

Apparently this has been known (though not by me) for a long time. Here's a 2002 article attributing the discovery to a 1985 op-ed piece. And a 2005 column attributing it to a different "discoverer" in 1980.

All links are to NYTimes articles.
  • edited June 2012
    Reply to @Derf: Hi Derf. For some reason, 15-year returns (back to 1997) are hard to come by. What I dug up: Pro Funds Money Market Pro (MPIXX) launched in 1997 and has returned annualized +2.37% since than. If you had been willing to take just a little bit of risk, T Rowe Price's Short Term Bond Fund (PRWBX) returned annualized +4.10% over that time-frame. For comparison, Vanguard's S&P fund (VFINX) gave you an annualized +4.44% - but the ride was decidedly choppy. (Remember 2008?) I don't think you can draw much comparison between energy prices and short term rates. Generally, lower rates imply lower inflation pressures and we might expect energy to fall. However, many geopolitical factors (read: Iran) can affect them. Societal trends too have an impact. Not many years back large SUVs were the rage and probably helped drive up gas prices. Things are changing, but many are still on the road. I do agree, however, that pizza prices are a good barometer to watch - my gastronomical experiences lead me to think much more $$ goes towards energy to bake and home-deliver these than for the actual ingredients.