Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

David's May Commentary

edited May 2011 in Fund Discussions
http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/commentary.php

Update: In addition to the commentary, David has a few new pages accessible from the home page. Books, manager changes, etc. Check it out!

If you have enjoyed David's commentary, his research or may be you like the discussion board, consider visiting Support Us link at the top of each page as well. This site can only live if we support it.

Comments

• Just a thanks to you, David, for your great commentary - don't know how you found the time. Looks like you're not getting rich from donations, but hopefully you can pay your expenses for the month... and that the donations will increase in time.

Have a great trip and vacation with your family! Thanks, Roy, for taking over in the meantime.

Cathy
  • edited November 2011
  • Oopsie! Yes. I'll send a quick "r" to Chip. Thanks, David
  • Hi, Cathy!

It should be a fascinating trip. Oxford, on surface, strikes me as a bit intimidating but I'm generally in my element when I'm working in archives. Will has grand (and exhausting) plans for hiking about London and riding tubes and trains and double-deckers. (Oh, to be 10 again!) The finances will work out. We can already cover a good fraction of Brad's bill and much of the major expenses should be passed (hah!).

David
  • Also there is a mistake on the fund page - the ticker for the Tocqueville Select Fund has now been changed TSELX
  • Hey, David! Very interesting. I thank you for the monthly commentary. Great stuff.
  • Hi David,

Thank you for all the hard work on this site, and now your new commentary. It's great to have you back!
  • Just don't order bacon for breakfast without telling them to "burn it" as most of the bacon I've had there looked like it was "dipped" into the frying pan for a couple of seconds. I found food there, in general, to be pretty dismal with a few exceptions. But the Indian cuisine there is great. Have fun!

Cathy
  • Great stuff, David. As always, it's both entertaining and muy informative ....

I appreciate in particular the attention given to the Amana/Sextant funds. I've always wondered this about Ssifx, Sextant International: Given that he's never had less than ~25% of the portfolio in cash, I wonder why he doesn't have at least a smidgen in bonds there instead of cash. (He couldn't do that per prospectus under the Amana banner, of course, but he doesn't have that limitation on the Sextant side.) I've always thought that if he did that, Ssifx could be a 6-star fund (!).