Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

June Great Lakes Shipping Indicator (unscientific)

edited June 2012 in Off-Topic
During June we visited some of Michigan's most beautiful areas near normally busy shipping lanes. Results of the study are not good. (1) Paradise & Whitefish Point - just one freighter spotted westbound on Lake Superior over 24 hour period. (2) Mackinaw Island & Mackinaw City - one ship passing westbound under the Mackinaw Bridge into Lake Michigan during two 24-hour periods, (3) Sault St. Marie - one ship passing eastbound on St Mary's River through Soo locks and into Lake Huron during half-day stay including 2-hour boat tour. Not as publicized as the Baltic Shipping Index, great lakes summer shipping is nonetheless an important indicator of economic activity. Normally would expect to see 3X the amount of activity observed. (This is hard work, but somebody's got to do it-:)

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Hi Hank,

Not quite on topic for my reply; but perhaps you and others will enjoy a break from the monies and learn a bit about another part of our world.

I did not spend more than 20 minutes; but one would think a readily available data list as to shipping tonnage that at least passes near the St. Clair or Port Huron areas. These points would only indicate shipping traffic in lakes Huron, Michigan and Superior; but would be indicative of overall traffic to date; versus other years.
    There is a discussion board at boatnerds.com, where one could register and post the question; and the site and others will let one track the various ships on the lakes in real time.

Since the mid-80's I/we have spent many hours relaxing at a house porch which faces east & north towards Lake Superior, from Eagle Harbor, MI. All ship traffic, upbound/downbound, to and from Duluth, MN passes very close to this point. Ships are generally 1/2 to 1 mile out; and I usually hear them before I see them. A very deep rumbling sound may be heard as it is transmitted through the water to the shoreline from the massive engines powering the 1,000 foot ships. This is most strange when there is a light fog bank upon the lake and one can hear/feel the ships; but not see them. If the lake surface is calm (which is the case, many days in the summer); 20-30 minutes after a ship's passing, large smooth waves numbering 5-7 rows will begin to wash upon the shoreline from the ship's wake one mile out upon the lake.
    By chance of schedule, we have seen 6 ships traveling both directions within our vision.

This massive lake does have its share of violent storms as shown in this video. The video is looking about west, with the far right side about due north. This shot is across the mouth of the harbor and approximately 500 hundred yards across. The house porch mentioned before is the brown house with the white trim....the second house to the left of the lighthouse. This storm is coming from the north (rightside), but the waves are traveling in 3 different directions as the wave currents bounce off of the rocks and shoreline.

Satellite View
    A slight drag downward on the image will indicate the lighthous location and one can see where the above storm video was taken from the land area to the rightside of the image.

A most magical location away from everything, and yours for $600k. This property has been for sale for 6 years and started at $1.6 million, at the peak of property values in MI.

Invite your friends, too

The small village of Eagle Harbor, as shown in the image map has lots of folks around in the summer; but from those I know there, the winter population is now about 35 folks.
    In spite of this small community being way out in the sticks; one of the old families in the area and who stays during the summer months has also provided a most unique service. The wife in the family greatly enjoys the area, but missed some real television; and tv antenna signals in this area are about.......not !
    She convinced her husband (they own a small cable company in another state) to hookup a satellite dish years ago. No, not your standard DISH network thing; as the request was before such small dishes existed. So, he brought a large work crew from the home office group about 12 summers ago; placed a large ground station receiver dish and proceeded to wire the village and township for cable. A complete gratius job, with the exception of having to pay $10/month for the connection.

Although this community is in MI, I can almost drive to New York City in the same amount of time, via interstate highways.

When strolling the small streets near the sandy beach area of the harbor; one would not be surprised to see a black bear or moose also going for a stroll. And, of course, the Harbor does have Eagles, too.

This area, and to the south of the area for 60 miles is one of the few places globally, where pure copper exists and was the leading producer of copper in the world for many years (1845-1968). In 1900, the nearby community of Calumet had a related area population of 90,000 and newspapers printed in 13 languages. Farther south, at the city of Hancock; the massive Quincy mine has shaft depths down to 9,000 feet where underground air temperatures may be at 80-90 degrees. A rude exit from the deep shaft work during the winter to perhaps find outdoor surface temperatures at a -40 degrees. Much of the surface area around the many, old communities sit upon a maze of mining shafts and every once in awhile a section finally gives way, as the large support timbers underground have finally given away to rot. A little rumble and presto, a 20 x 30 foot new hole in the surface ground.

One last story. About 10 years ago, on US 41 highway, which travels to the most northern community of Copper Harbor, a smarter than average young black bear had a plan. Tourists reported seeing the young bear sitting along the edge of the road. 'Course folks want to stop to take a picture and toss the bear a few treats, too. Apparently the bear noticed not everyone stopping for a photo shoot and a treat for him. The next reports stated that the bear was now sitting in the middle of the highway on its butt, and in an upright position. Everyone now had to stop. The DNR finally trapped the bear and moved it to a location about 15 miles away. Two weeks later........."He's back." Moved him again, but about 50 miles to the south.
    NOTE: from US 41's most northern point at Copper Harbor, before the interstate highways; could find one traveling directly to Miami, FL. (see below link)

Go'in to Miami

OK, thanks for the time; hope you enjoyed the tour, and Hank, I hope you can view some of the links with your electronic connection.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Actually I think this is very useful info.