Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ping: David and/or Chip....... Data numbers for MFO

edited June 2012 in Off-Topic
Being curious about this area; might one of you provide an update as to site data regarding number of visits, member count and which country(s) have regular visitors, etc.
Well, heck; as your time allows, you may throw as much data to us as you feel would be valid.
Thank you,
Catch

Comments

• Hi, Catch.
    David has been busy travelling, and will only have a couple of days before his next trip. I'll attempt to gather some stats for you and the rest of the board.
    Regards,
    chip
  • Hi, Catch.

The Analytics, Vanilla and Mail Chimp programs generate a lot of data, much of it in real-time (as I write, for example, I know there are six people on-site including one from Geneva, Switzerland, and that four of them are visiting the board). Since we're not quite sure what you're most interested in, chip and I generated a quick smorgasbord of data from the three sources. If there are things that other members of our little community are curious about and that we haven't listed, let us know and we'll try to help out.

The Discussion Board, as of 27 June 2012
    816 Members
    Over 50,000 Visits by members
    5,049 Average number of views per day, by members and non-members
    Over 13,000 Max number of views in a single day
    Over 2,000,000 Number of views since the beginning, by anyone.
    150 Members active in the past month
    3,065 Discussions
    12,403 Comments

The Mailing List, which just measures the number of folks who've asked to be reminded each month when the site updates. We could use to it reach out for other purposes, but pretty much promised not to.

The Mailing List has steadily climbed from 1,182 subscribers for our first issue, to 2,654 today. We average 123 new subscribers, and 13 unsubscribers (hiss boo) each month. Over 30% of the subscribers open the email announcement each month. 82% of the subscribers identify themselves as in the US. 15% have no location indicated. Other top identified locations include the UK, Canada, Australia, and France. We also have opens in Cambodia, China, Israel, Greece, and Mongolia.

Site Stats by Google Analytics, as of 28 June 2012

Visits: 343,000
    Unique Visitors: 81,700
    Pageviews: 997,000. Remember, the system tallies activity on the board separately so if you go to the board and read 10 comments, Google notices only one pageview - the board itself. That's why the board total is so much higher than the site total.
    Pages / Visit: 2.91
    Avg. Visit Duration: 00:03:39

We've had visitors from 129 countries. There are 55 countries responsible for 10 or more visits each. In round terms, 96% of our visitors come from the US. The most popular origins after that are Canada, unknown, Spain (no idea at all but we get major traffic from one city in northern Spain), Israel, Taiwan, Japan and the U.K.

Does that move in the direction of useful, big guy? If you, or any of the other folks, see something there that suggests ways of making the Observer more useful or more vibrant, the folks at this end are always eager to listen and do what we can.

As ever,

David
  • Howdy David,

Thank you for your efforts with this data. The numbers, at least to me; are interesting to consider.

Enjoy your time with the family and a most well deserved break.

Regards,
    Catch