Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Greedings from AK

edited July 2012 in Off-Topic
I am writing this from Anchorage, Alaska Airport waiting for my flight to Austin, TX via Denver.

I was cut-off from Internet on the cruise ship. It was a great 1-week cruise starting from Vancouver, BC, Canada and finishing at Whittier, AK.

Along the way, we saw Ketchikan, Juneau and nearby Mandenhall Glacier, Skagway, visit to White Pass & Yukon Route Railway, Glacier Bay Glaciers, Collage Fijord Glaciers (named after Ivy League schools from NE). When we docked at Whittier last night at around mid-night, the sky was skill illuminated.

Yet, It looks like I need to go on vacation more often. Apparently, it was a good week for the market.

Comments

• Wow. I'm guessing that you've had electricity and reasonable temperatures and everything? Not conditions uniformly available here on vacation in our nation's capital. I met a family of Maryland refugees in the lobby last night - after three days without power, living in the basement with a portable light - the only place in the house where the heat was bearable - they decided that a little time in a big hotel had its charms.

Off to tour the Capitol and the Smithsonian. (Will might be anticipating rather more animation than he'll see - he and mom watched Night at the Museum 2 last night in preparation for the visit.)

Cheers,

David
  • Investor, I am unfamiliar with a "sky that was skill illuminated." Are you saying that you saw 'northern lights' or is this something entirely different.

David, I'm betting that the White House has power. Maybe you could all go there and hang with the pres, maybe shoot a few hoops and have a beer.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Investor,

That sounds like a good trip ...

Wife and I have been in Florida this past week for the 80th Panama Canal Society Reunion and are now traveling back to Murrells Inlet, SC. While in Fla we stopped at the Dog Track and made a few wagers ... and yep ... the old bettting system I used back in the 80's still provided some nice spiff for the pocket.

Currently, we are in Savanah, GA and will spend most of the day on the water front and the historical district. This evening we plan to go to Tybee Island and have dinner at the Crab Shack as we make our way back to the Inlet via Hwy US 17 ... Not I-95. We plan to spend most of tomorrow with a stop in Charleston Area... and, then on back to the Inlet tomorrow night and will be with our neighbors and some friends for the 4th before returnning to North Carolina on Sunday.

Then for the rest of the summer it will be a few days in Charlotte and then back to the Inlet for the rest of the week until past Labor Day. I have a lot of time built up through the years with my company and it is take it or lose it type deal for me. Still a good deal from my thoughts as I am staying employeed with good health care benefits until age 65 while at the same time using up my unused days rather than waking away from them.

Since, it is getting on towards 10:00 AM, EDT ... Gotta Get.

Have a great 4th everyone.

Skeeter
  • Reply to @Mark: No, not northern lights but at mid-night when I went to sleep, it was more like 7pm in Austin. I believe if I were to go above 66th parallel, I could see mid-night sun as well. For northern lights, you need to go further north, closer to north pole.
  • edited July 2012
    Reply to @David_Snowball:

Hi David, Yes, we were generally lucky to have very good weather by Alaska standards. It was cooler for us from warmer climate but not to the point of requiring thick winter clothing for the most part. I hear we had luckily escaped the heat for a week. Air conditioning in the ship was working very well to fine tune our comfort while sleeping.

Of course, the cruise ship generates its own electricity most of the time but no problem with power in ports either.

Night at the Museum 1/2 are fun movies. I am afraid he might be a little disappointed with the tour but you can point to the fact that they are mostly stationary during business hours.;)Hope he does not insist on seeing the exhibits after hours!
  • Reply to @Skeeter: Sounds like you are having fun as well. Happy 4th.
  • Hi Investor,

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Wish we took the tour before our little ones arrive. Few more years we will assume our adventures again. While you were away, the market stabilized and moved upward. The second half of the year will be interesting...
  • Reply to @Investor: Not totally correct as the northern lights are visible near the Twin Cities (Mpls-St.Paul) in winter and in northern MN frequently. Now I understand what you were talking about anyway.
  • edited July 2012
    Yep - find MFO great way to pass the time at airports. Got caught up in a real "donnybrook" last April while waiting for a connecting flight in Orlando. Took several days for it to sort out. (-; (-: (-: Sounds like a neat sight - all that daylight. Wouldn't want to deal with the darkness during winter though. Have a great trip Investor.