Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Professional and Amateur Differences

Hi Guys,

Here is a Link to a recent article that attempts to isolate the generic differences between professionals and amateurs. The list is rather long and not very kind to the amateur cohort. But the behaviors identified can make significant outcome differences, especially when applied to the investment discipline. Please visit the article at:

https://www.farnamstreetblog.com/blog/

Most of us that participate on this website are definitely in the amateur class, and are likely victims to the downside coupled to the wisdom summarized in this negative listing. On the other hand, I suspect that even the professionals among us also suffer from many of these same shortcomings. Investing is a tough challenge. Luck is always a major contributor since forecasting the future is an impossible task.

I wish all of us good luck.

Best Regards

Comments

• Excellent advice - always good to re-read stuff like that.

When I first got into futures and options, a retired futures trader told me that amateurs focus first on the possibility of reward; professionals (and those that tend to last in the industy) focus on the probability of risk, THEN on the resulting possibility of reward.
  • Great Blog. Thanks.