Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

This Labor Day is Hard to Shake Away

MJG
edited September 2017 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

Labor Day has come and gone, but not what remains as a residual on my mind. To celebrate that Day, our family played a ton of songs, many of them military. We rediscovered a song recorded a while ago that I simply can't get out of my mind. It is a haunting tune with much deep meaning. There has never been a better anti-war song ever written. At least that's my amateur opinion.

I wonder if it impacts you as much as it disturbs me? The song is "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda", and the version that has successfully invaded me is by John McDermott. Here is a Link to it:

and the band played waltzing matilda john mcdermott

The Link is protected and incomplete. A little extra effort will get you to the site on U tube. It is well worth the effort.

Please give it a try. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and still do. It is really a song with a message. I can't shake it away. Can you?

Best Regards

Comments

• TedTed
    edited September 2017
    @MJG & MFO Members: Song was played in both Gallipoli and On The Beach
    Regards,
    Ted
    The Band Played Waltzing Matilda - John McDermott
  • That is a powerful song.

Masters of War is good.

What do you play on Memorial and Veterans' days? Joe Hill?
  • beebee
    edited September 2017
    Thanks MJG. I was moved by hearing Waltzing Matilda again (Matilda is an affectionate way of referring to an Aussie's backpack). I first heard the Clancy Brother version of this song and its haunting lyrics of the human cost of war.

Liam Clancy sings another WWI remembrance (No Man's Land) that I believe conveys similar sentiments.

https://youtu.be/Cp-OlpffDWw</a

• Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your meaningful contributions. They all enhanced this exchange effectively and with considerable impact.

I was motivated to visit both additional referenced sites. I don't especially remember the Alamo or the Maine, but I do remember Pearl Harbor from a realtime recall as a youngster. History books are a poor substitute for actual experiences.

At my current age, recalling anything is a challenge and an accomplishment.

Best Wishes
  • Also found the song very moving. It's worth remembering that it commemorates an incident in the "War to End All Wars."
  • i thought all holidays are hard to shake away especially if you have to come back to work day after holiday