Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Sites Do You Use to Follow the Markets?

edited October 2017 in Off-Topic
Hello,

I have been using the WSJ: "Markets at a Glance" data site. However, when I access the site this morning it seems that it has been reconfigured and I am unable to view the information that I have most often used in the past for quick reference.

Just wondering what sites others might be using to pull their market data from?

Thanks in advance for your comment.

Old_Skeet

Comments

• Is your PC able to open/view this WSJ link?

http://www.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/mdc_us_stocks.html?mod=mdc_topnav_2_3020

I reset our browser history at the end of the day (an old habit). There have been times during the day when sites don't function properly, but generally clearing the browser takes care of whatever had become "stuck".
  • Hi @Catch22,

Thanks for making comment and suggestion. I can access the link but it seems that the folks at the WSJ have reconfigured the data page where it is useless for me in its current configuration. I have tried the link on several computers all to no avail. And, I cleared all browser history on my machine again all to no avail. I can get to your link but I can not get to my old link "Markets at a Glance." This is also the link that Ted post in his "Closing Bell" post. Seems, they have now closed the backdoor?
  • TedTed
    edited October 2017
    @Ols-Skeet: This what I'm presently getting on my computer both in Firefox and Chrome.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://markets.wsj.com/us
  • Thanks all,

Well, what can I say ... But, it is back to working now.
  • edited October 2017
    #1. I’m pretty much hooked on Bloomberg TV. Beauty & brains is a nice combo. And they pretty much manage to avoid the political garbage.

#2. I also like Bloomberg’s ipad app for a quick daytime overview. Covers many different national & international markets. However, too many ads at times.

#3. Enjoyed Barron’s print for a year at a discount. But they priced me out with their renewal “offer.” I suppose their charts are superb if you’re really into charting markets. With me the value was more in jogging me to think about different things.

#4. In place of Barron’s, I’ve subscribed to Bloomberg Business Week on my Kindle. They’ve revamped this one in the past year and it’s now a very good read - but probably not on a par with Barron’s.

#5. I occasionally scan the performance charts at T. Rowe. They cover so many sectors. Once in a while you can spot a really beaten-up one and turn a quick buck. Here you can learn a lot - and it doesn’t cost you a dime.

#6. I continue to like Lipper for most research on funds. When I want to cross-check against their take, I consult MaxFunds. Can’t vouch for their accuracy, but it is a different breed of fund analysis.

#7. For a quick overview of the day’s markets it’s hard to beat @Ted’s daily wrap-up at MFO.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2017
    “There seems to me to be a correlation between how often your fund manager makes appearances in interviews, and how poorly the mutual funds perform.”

Seems to me the companies with mediocre performance and high fees do get more time on air. Wonder who determines this and whether companies pay for air time? Bloomberg seems to feature Oppenheimer managers quite a bit. Owning a little there, I’ve found them expensive and second-rate compared to much larger T. Rowe. Yet representatives from T. Rowe rarely appear.

I’ve heard that some like Dodge and Cox don’t enjoy that kind of publicity and so rarely appear. My guess is that they don’t want to encourage “front-running” of their funds by being truthful about their take on markets, and yet they’re too principled to lie or engage in subterfuge. Wonder also, how these on-air appearances are viewed by the firms’ legal departments, with an eye to potential shareholder lawsuits down the road? Avoiding inflows of “hot money” may be another reason for their reluctance to appear.

Re IBD - Wish I still had time to read it. Though I disagreed with much of its pervasive right ring political slant, I found their business news engaging. Not the WSJ - but more reasonably priced and more focused on investing.