Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any insights on Thomas White International (TWWDX)?

edited July 2012 in Fund Discussions
I want to increase my foreign exposure in the coming months - large or mid, not emerging market. Some of the usual suspects (OAKIX, ARTIX, DODFX) aren't knocking my socks off. Probably not ready to take the plunge on FMIJX, either. I also looked at Manning & Napier, Schroders, and some others, before stumbling onto Thomas White, but I haven't been able to find much analysis on TWWDX. Any input on this fund?

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I don't have a lot of input on TWWDX but I've followed it on my watch list for about 5 years. It's a good fund, but if memory serves I think the expenses may be kind of high. Also a quick look shows the EM % in it's portfolio is high.

I'll throw out the fund that I own in this space for your consideration. It doesn't get a lot of ink on this board, but UMBWX is a very good International fund. It's relatively conservative (held up better then most in 2008) and has had the same manager forever. I also like it because of another thing you mentioned. It doesn't hold a lot of EM stuff. I like that aspect because I can hold a specific EM fund along side this one with out worrying my EM weighting may be swayed.

Here is some info on EM holdings for a couple funds you mentioned and UMBWX.

per M*, % in EM stocks:
    UMBWX 10%
    DODFX 19%
    ARTIX 9%
    TWWDX 26%

I like ARTIX or UMBWX in this space. Anyway, just another consideration.

• My favorite in this space continues to be SGOVX which is available NL/NTF at Schwab for minimums of $2500 and $1000 in retirement and taxable accounts, respectively.

Kevin
  • Reply to @kevindow: Yup, can't disagree. Wish I could get it through my TRP account - but not available.
  • edited July 2012
    Reply to @MikeM:

At TRP, I would consider ACFFX.
  • TWWDX expenses fall between ARTIX and TBGVX, which are both significantly larger funds ($9B and $4.8B, respectively). UMBWX is also pretty hefty at $7.5B and somewhat weighted toward financials. Appreciate the comment on EM holdings, but I do not really plan to have a strictly EM fund. As far as brokerage service, I am with TRP, but I've generally been looking at direct purchase, so maybe I should expand my search to some of the load funds that TRP can get me into without load. I see that ACCFX gives more mid-cap flavor and some Asia focus. TWWDX is pretty balanced between Europe and Asia, too.