Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Thanks John,

I get my exposure to Munis at USAA with USTEX and USBLX in my taxable accounts. The first, USTEX, holds strictly Long Term munis and its NAV is at a 52 week high. The second, USBLX, provides a monthly tax exempt distributions but also holds 30-40% growth stocks (mostly LC) for long term capital appreciation. I like both in my taxable account.

The comment section of your linked article offered this screener for those interested in CEF:
    http://www.cefconnect.com/Screener/FundScreener.aspx

Also mentioned in the comment section is the fact that proposed tax changes maybe one reason that there is still a net increase into munis.

Raising Interest rates and bankruptcy are two dynamics to monitor in this investment space.

Would love to hear from others who utilize munis
  • Hi bee, happy monday
    I still kept the same individual muni portfolio, no changes. I think the biggest concerns are raising capital gains taxations next year. I suspect interest rate won't be raised until 2014 or 2015, which is a nice environment for Munis/bonds. Otherwise if you put $$ in munis better returns and CDs, but slightly higher risks; you have to choose your own best ones. For instance I've bought SJ arpt muni bond [cusip 798136TS6] few weeks back, ratings AA and yielding ~ in the 5.5%s tax free, can't really get a better deal out there. The problem is I don't know if I will live until 2031 when the bond mature

I think you may need a mixture of muni etfs/bond funds + some individual bonds in your portfolio because you cannot control what the managers do w/ the ETF/funds+ NAV; you don't really care what the market does w/ individual bond [just hold it until it mature and let's not hope it won't bankrupt till then].