Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Michael Lewis on Trump and Behavioral Finance

edited November 2017 in Off-Topic
Some of the details in this NPR interview with Michael Lewis are truly remarkable:
https://npr.org/2017/11/06/562246599/michael-lewis-many-trump-appointees-are-uninterested-in-the-agencies-they-head-u
Regardless which side of the political aisle one stands, it's hard to imagine any president not staffing major agencies like the U.S. Depart of Agriculture, which controls so many aspects of American life, and the Department of Energy, which controls the nukes, with competent people. Obama, Bush I and 2, Clinton, Reagan, all had a team of people come over to these agencies the day after their election to learn how to manage them from the previous administrations' staff. In Trump's case literally no one showed up for these meetings, which the agencies' elaborately prepared for. And when finally someone showed up weeks later, they had no experience in the fields the agencies specialized in. A right wing talk show host replaced a deeply experienced agricultural scientist. This goes beyond politics. It's absolutely bizarre and frightening to think who's running or not running these agencies now. This interview is based on a series of articles Michael Lewis is doing for Vanity Fair. Here's a link to one on the USDA: https://vanityfair.com/news/2017/11/usda-food-stamps-school-lunch-trump-administration There's another out there on the Department of Energy.

Here's an excerpt from the USDA Vanity Fair article:
Nine months later, Politico published an eye-popping account about these new appointees. Its reporter Jenny Hopkinson obtained the curricula vitae of the new Trump people. Into U.S.D.A. jobs, some of which paid nearly $80,000 a year, the Trump team had inserted a long-haul truck driver, a clerk at AT&T, a gas-company meter reader, a country-club cabana attendant, a Republican National Committee intern, and the owner of a scented-candle company, with skills like “pleasant demeanor” listed on their résumés. “In many cases [the new appointees] demonstrated little to no experience with federal policy, let alone deep roots in agriculture,” wrote Hopkinson. “Some of those appointees appear to lack the credentials, such as a college degree, required to qualify for higher government salaries.”

What these people had in common, she pointed out, was loyalty to Donald Trump.

Nine months after they’d arrived a man I’d been told was the best informed of all the department’s career employees about the haphazard transition couldn’t tell me how many of these people were still roaming the halls. And what fingerprints they left were characteristically bizarre. They sent certified letters to several senior career civil servants, for instance, telling them they were being reassigned—from jobs they were good at to jobs they knew little about. “Too close to the Obama administration is what people are saying,” noted one U.S.D.A. career staffer. They instructed the staff to stop using the phrase “climate change.” They removed the inspection reports on businesses that abused animals—roadside circuses, puppy mills, research labs—from the department’s Web site. When reporters from National Geographic contacted the U.S.D.A. to ask what was going on with animal-abuse issues, “they told us all of this information was public, except now you had to FOIA it,” said Rachael Bale. “We asked for the files, and they sent us 1,700 completely blacked-out pages.”

Comments

• Both of Lewis' article are true shockers. As bad as a president may be, it's the people he appoints that do the real governing and they can really screw things up. Quite frankly, I don't think Trump himself picked the people running the government agencies; I do wonder what staffers did make the choices, however. We could be paying the consequences for a long time after DT is gone. I don't want know-nothing anti-science types running the nuclear waste facility in Hanford WA, or making policy regarding the environment.
  • edited November 2017
    Here's the link to the Department of Energy Vanity Fair article: https://vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis
    It's perhaps even more shocking than the USDA one because it deals with nukes and national security.
  • Great fodder for Milbank.

Nice catch by Mueller & Co. on Clovis. Anyone who pays attention to science, consumer, conservation or similar news knows how ridiculous that nomination was, and likely sent a "don't confirm the know-nothing" message to their senator, but I'd never heard about his connection to the campaign and the investigation.
  • Don't you get it? When Trump said "drain the swamp", he didn't quite mean get rid of the corruption, he meant get rid of the insiders. Not just Washington insiders, and of course not his insiders, but insiders to whatever.

What could be more of an outsider to the scientific community than a non-scientist? Put Clovis in a room filled with with scientists and he'll be clearly distinguished, er, distinguishable.

Makes perfect sense to me.
  • msf said:

What could be more of an outsider to the scientific community than a non-scientist? Put Clovis in a room filled with with scientists and he'll be clearly distinguished, er, distinguishable.

Ah yes, a clear objective, impeccably implemented. Fortunate for all that he wasn't just distinguishable, but also extinguishable as a nominee.
  • On August 10, @LewisBraham, I linked the DOE article you mentioned above. Not one person commented on what I thought was a grave matter. Thanks for bringing your influence to bear. As the French say, “Vous avez du piston.” The Department of State deserves similar attention. It’s being ruined and along with it American standing in the world.
  • IMHO it's not Lewis per se as much as it how he posted: an excerpt (within fair use) and a comment. You gave the link and commented on its contents, but weren't as clear on what the contents were (much beyond something bad in the government).
    https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/34654/michael-lewis-on-what-disasters-await-because-doe-may-be-de-funded

I take it as a given that the Trump administration is a mess. One needs a little more of a teaser than that to entice.

To address your thought that the ramifications will outlive Trump, I agree, but for a different reason. I'm not as concerned about the people he's bringing in as the people that are fleeing. The new people are so unqualified/incompetent that while they may have some success in impeding the government, they appear much less capable of remaking the government. Especially as it remains understaffed.

But the highly competent, knowledgeable and experienced staffers who are leaving are irreplaceable. Linda Greenhouse frets about this almost as an afterthought in her NYTimes column about the DOJ and abortion rights:
    Not a single career lawyer signed the solicitor general’s Supreme Court petition, a sure indication that something isn’t right in the office. If the recent trickle of resignations becomes a flood, we can assume that the talented lawyers who left their prestigious positions hadn’t signed up to work in what is becoming a Justice Department outpost of the National Right to Life Committee.
  • @Benwp, Thanks for the compliment but I wouldn't attribute the notice necessarily to me. In any case, all that matters is that the word gets out about these important issues.

@davidrmoran. Good articles. There is also something remarkably totalitarian about these sorts of appointments that again goes beyond left or right-wing ideology. Dictators always put personal loyalty above competence in their administration. This has been true in right-wing and left-wing dictatorships. Regardless what one may think of Obama, he was very much a technocrat, and I don't think he would ever have replaced a skilled employee deeply embedded in the bureaucracy of these agencies for purely political or spiteful ends. What would be the point in doing so as these people are not the public face of these agencies and their jobs in many cases are largely apolitical? I think for instance most people regardless of political party would agree that having competent people running the agency that makes sure our nuclear weapons and facilities are safe is vital. Putting personal loyalty to the president above that competence is utterly bizarre.

• I agree with all of the members' above comments. One similarity between Michael Lewis' two articles is a recounting of how both the DOE and USDA operatives spent a huge amount of time and energy to prepare for the handover to the incoming appointees. In both cases, no one showed up at the respective HQs for days. Trained scientists and life-time employees literally walked out the doors because they saw that their services would no longer be needed. The operative attitude among the new people seems to have been, "If it's a government program, it must be wasteful and therefore eliminated." That scares me.
  • edited November 2017
    deleted.