Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Using EFTs to monitor your mutual funds during the day?

beebee
edited August 2012 in Fund Discussions
In another thread, fredK mentioned that he monitors PETDX during the day by following RWR. I have been doing this with many of the funds I hold. It gives me a general idea of where my mutual funds will settle at the end of the day which indirectly helps me make some last minute buy and sell decisions.

Using YahooFinance I create a portfolio of ETFs that I feel most closely resemble the funds I own as well funds I might wish to start a new position. This allows me to look at this portfolio during the day and get an idea as to how my mutual funds will settle that night.

I use two websites to help me identify potential ETFs as proxities for my funds. These ETFs will become part of my ETF portfolio using YahooFinance:

Fund Mojo:
http://www.fundmojo.com/mutualfund/fund_report/mutualfund/PETDX

-Using PETDX...Fund Mojo identifies other mutual funds as well as ETFs that are similar to PETDX. Here's what Fund Mojo's identified:

Using EFTdb mutual fund comparison tool a similar set of EFTs can be identified
http://etfdb.com/tool/mutual-fund-to-etf/

-Again using PETDX...EFTdb identifies these ETFs:

Anyone else do something similar...different?

Comments

• I also do a Yahoo portfolio as you have done. In it I have about a dozen ETFs that I use as tracking indicators for my open end funds. Like you, I have made some buy or sell decisions for that day based on the tracking indicator ETFs .

I also have a Yahoo portfolio with the top 10 holdings for each fund so that I can quickly switch to those and see how they are doing as well.

These two methods help me have a good sense of what the NAV is likely to settle at or around that day.

With a fund like PETDX that tracks an index my caution is to be sure that you are comparing apples to apples by choosing an ETF that tracks the same index. In PETDX's case it is the Dow Jones U.S. Select REIT Index (index ticker: DWRTFT). So I also use the DWRTFT ticker as a tracker. In REITS that's important because there is a world of difference between an index like the Dow Jones U.S. Select REIT Index which is comprised
    of companies whose charters are the equity ownership and operation of commercial real estate and an index like the FTSE NAREIT All Mortgage Capped Index which could be tracked by the iShares ETF REM.

So, from this I hypothesize that PETDX's interests are (but held as derivates) seen in the DWRTFT's top 10 stocks:

Simon Ppty Group Inc New 11.71%
    Public Storage 5.16%
    Hcp Inc 4.87%
    Ventas Inc 4.67%
    Equity Residential 4.61%
    Boston Properties Inc 4.19%
    Prologis Inc 3.89%
    Vornado Rlty Tr 3.75%
    Avalonbay Cmntys Inc 3.38%
    Health Care Reit Inc 3.25%

REM's holdings are quite different since its index follows the mortgage REITS:

ANNALY CAPITAL MANAGEMENT IN 20.62%
    AMERICAN CAPITAL AGENCY CORP 18.53%
    TWO HARBORS INVESTMENT CORP 5.56%
    CYS INVESTMENTS INC 4.89%
    STARWOOD PROPERTY TRUST INC 4.57%
    INVESCO MORTGAGE CAPITAL 4.49%
    MFA FINANCIAL INC 4.23%
    HATTERAS FINANCIAL CORP 4.07%
    CHIMERA INVESTMENT CORP 3.98%
    ARMOUR RESIDENTIAL REIT INC 3.78%