Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How To Choose A Municipal Bond Fund

edited August 2012 in Fund Discussions
Hi MFO,

Learn Bonds just published the following article. Please let me know if you find it helpful.

http://www.learnbonds.com/how-to-choose-a-municipal-bond-fund/

Best,

Marc Prosser
Publisher
Learn Bonds

Comments

• A few thoughts:
    -In step 1, Washington is listed twice: "(Florida, Texas, Nevada, Washington, Washington, Alaska, Wyoming, and South Dakota)".
    -A claim that a national fund provides higher yield is not true.
    -Are there really muni bonds index funds (i mean classic mutual funds, not ETFs)?
    -Would your readers benefit from some risk disclosures, such as California has significant bond supply because they can't get their sh*t together (oops, budget deficit closed) and such?
    -Should you be mentioning that high yield municipal bonds have none of the risks of the high yield corporate bonds, but the common name?

The article is very simplistic and I would hope that those who pick up muni funds (i.e. higher income individuals) are sophisticated enough to make their choices based on other research.

This could work as a filter though. i would only add that leaving out closed-end-funds addresses a fraction of investable muni funds universe.