Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

USAT: Searching for income? Reits look promising!

edited August 2012 in Fund Discussions
Hello,

I came across this artile form reading the weekend print edition of the USA Today. I found the article through Google and have linked it below for your reading enjoyment. The article contains a list of mutual funds with the best record.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/waggon/story/2012-08-23/investment-income-reits/57255346/1

Have a great day ... and, I wish all "Good Investing."

Skeeter

Comments

• edited August 2012
    As noted in the article, REITs have run up quite a bit. I've been looking at Pebblebrook Hotel Trust, but while I like the idea of an opportunistic portfolio of undervalued high-end hotels (and the REIT website offers a terrifically detailed investment summary of each hotel), the 2% yield isn't enough and it has run up. I wouldn't go anywhere near mall REITS (not only from the standpoint of economic environment, but even if things are great, malls are overbuilt and technology - online or mobile - continues to pull traffic away - see Best Buy), with the exception of unique offerings, such as Tanger Outlet Malls (as I think higher-end outlet malls will continue to grow in popularity, such as these and Simon's "Premium Outlet"'s. I'd be more positive on storage space, apartment and healthcare REITS, but they have also run up quite a bit.