Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• msf February 2018
  • Ted February 2018
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Funds in Taxable Accounts - Tax Loss Harvesting

beebee
edited February 2018 in Fund Discussions
Trying to make the best a a bad situation...
I am reviewing my taxable accounts and my positions (mutual funds) with the focus on holdings that have under performed over the last 6-12 months and have most recently tanked with the rest of the market. I will sell out of these positions (for tax harvesting losses) and re-position elsewhere.

GLFOX is on the chopping block - The Trump effect had little positive impact on this Global Infrastructure fund since the election.

Anyone employ Tax Loss Harvesting as a strategy?

Comments

• @bee: Still working off my AOD loses.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • bee said:

GLFOX is on the chopping block - The Trump effect had little positive impact on this Global Infrastructure fund since the election.

Top 1/3 (34/99) over the past year (though dismal YTD). Here I am, again sounding like a broken record: this fund is currency hedged, so it will underperform as the dollar sinks. A likely event with Mnuchin talking down the dollar.

I unwind taxable positions slowly. It takes me a long time to decide to give up on a fund, and even then, I'm just as likely wrong as right. Some funds never regain their "magic", others do as conditions change. So far, GLFOX wouldn't even be on my sell list - a few (really) bad months under adverse conditions don't tell me its best days are past. Though my thinking is more oriented toward broad based funds and not sector funds. One might want to rotate out of a sector regardless of how good or bad an individual fund is.

As a long term investor, for me it's not so much a matter of taking losses as minimizing gains. So I sell just the highest cost shares at first, gradually selling more if a fund continues to prove to be past its prime.

I just liquidated one fund (at the beginning of 2018) that had continued to underperform. Yet another fund I own (and had sold some of the higher cost shares), has come back to 4 stars, meaning that it's outperformed recently (to recover its stars) and even long term has provided solid returns.

If the market takes a nosedive and I do have underwater shares in a fund on my "unwind" list, I sell them quickly, but in order to swap into a preferable fund, not to hold cash. I don't try to time these things.