Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

comments about fnmx

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
I wanted to have exposure to emmerging markets. This is the one I purchased, fnmx. I also like the Fidelity website. Couldn't be easier or friendlier. Long term it looks to be a winner. What is the primary distinction between income and growth? This fund can have limited exposure to other vehicles also. I didn't like the cost structures around Pimco funds, or the possible need for a broker. It turns out that Fidelity is also a broker.

Comments

• Emerging markets that is. Can't spell anymore.
  • edited September 2012
    Did you mean FNMIX? That is an EM Bond fund. If this is the fund you meant, it's a bond fund so there is only income not growth.
  • 4 letters is not valid fund ticker. Please edit your post and correct.
  • fido new mkts - Possibly FNMIX
  • Sorry - did not read Scott's post.
  • It is fnmix. If I reinvest dividends and so forth, isn't that a form of growthalthough not defined as such?
  • What do you want to learn? The fund is run an experienced manager who has been with the fund for a long time.

It has produced very good returns but in times like 2008, it can have big losses for a bond fund. In particular, in bond funds extra big returns also mean higher risk.

There has been been big inflows to emerging markets and lately emerging market funds. Some of the emerging market flows have reversed. If investors lose faith in emerging markets longer time the reversion of fund flows can extend to emerging markets debt.

I believe some investment based on your risk tolerance in emerging markets is reasonable. I do not think your portfolio should be dominated by such debt.
  • Thanks for all the advice. Since I have a longer time frame, I'll stick with fnmix. I did notice that the 2008 losses did recover in a year or so. I need to develop patience over time to wait things out. Sold five funds this year alone, couldn't wait to see if their picks were right. In the short term they weren't, compared with peer results.