Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FMI Funds fourth qtr report

edited February 2018 in Fund Discussions
https://www.fiduciarymgt.com/funds/shrpt/qly_shrpt_123117.pdf

Always like their honesty and openness. They do stick to their cooking, even though it is not always what people want to hear. I hold FMIJX

Comments

• @slick: Enjoyed their commentary, but am not worried that the market will turn south for the remainder of 2018
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • edited February 2018
    Just saw in their new prospectus (Jan. 31, '18) that they've changed the wording around currency hedging from "The Fund may hedge ...." to "The fund generally hedges a significant portion ...." (emphasis mine)

Leaving little doubt, apparently, that they won't be trying to catch much if any of the currency tailwind for foreign stocks that they've been fighting for the past year ... not a bad thing, necessarily, unless the U.S.$ is in a more secular decline, like the 2000-oughts. If that happens, it'd mean the fund will be sucking wind for some time.

I've owned it since not long after inception, and think they're among the best stock pickers in the business, but I've trimmed it down considerably for now, until the markets revolve back into its sweet spot.