Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited September 2012
    There is nothing about Edward Jones in the article you linked. You probably got the wrong URL.

BTW, sites often tack some crap to their URLs for various reasons. You could trim the above URL to this.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-to-retire-rich--3-smart-steps-at-ages-40-55.html
  • edited September 2012
    Err...I'm sorry but this is first paragraph in the page at the url i linked...

By now, you've probably amassed a decent sum in your retirement accounts and another hefty sum in the college fund. You haven't? Join the club. A survey conducted in 2009 by Edward Jones, the financial services firm, showed that 20% of respondents ages 45 to 54 had saved nothing at all for either retirement or college. A recent survey showed that 62% of respondents had never heard of a 529 savings plan, much less contributed to one.

So when you say "About" Edward Jones, I mean the fact that if Edward Jones did it, its meaningful, important, whatever. I don't think Edwards Jones does anything out of the kindness of their heart.

Also I also decided to be lazy on the URL thing. On Friday's I'm allowed !:-)
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: OK, I missed that part but article title is largely divorced from the contents as well. It talks about How to Retire Rich in 3 Steps and only talks about how to fund College education. Ultimately they are related via the source of funds to fund both objectives but they could have used a better title specifically reflecting that most of the article is about funding college education.
  • The article appears to be one of a series of "How to Retire Rich: 3 Smart Steps At Age N to N+15". The one that VF linked to focuses on college expenses because that's what middle aged parents typically focus on. It does have three steps - invest whatever you're not spending on college, budget for college, and set college expectations for your kids. Okay, 2 out of 3 are college.

What it's devoid of is identifying sources. Who's Fox, who's Yrizarry? Turns out they're not more EJ people, but independent advisors. But you'd have to read the other article in the series to find that out:
    http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/archives/how-to-retire-rich-30s-40s.html