Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FMIRX becomes PROVX

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
How did we at MFO miss this? Or am I the one who missed it.

My Schwab account now shows I own shares in PROVX not FMIRX. Worse PROVX not available at Schwab. I went to FMI funds website. FMIRX is gone saying Provident Trust Company is now the advisor. Err, it always was. Only now it is no longer an FMI fund and I cannot buy it any more.

I think I waste so much time trying to find what I think are stable companies trying to construct portfolio that I can truly manage passively and I kept getting thrown a curve ball. I just want to smash some chairs right now.

Comments

• There was actually a short discussion back on July 12. You might search FMIRX here for the original.

David
  • edited September 2012
    I will. I completely missed it, I supposed. Nothing a single malt will not compensate for.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: Sorry about the clipped response. I was pecking away on a cellphone at the time. So far as I can tell, Provident Trust simply bought the fund back from FMI, effective 8/31. I don't know why. Neither the FMI nor the Provident (www.provtrust.com) websites offer an explanation, though the Provident site does have a cool old map of Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. Mr. Harkness of Provident has been the manager since 2002 and will continue. I'd talk to Schwab about availability; you might simply be caught in a time lag as the shareholders of ARIVX seem to be.

David