Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Sentinel Small Company Fund reopens.

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
While this is a load fund, I wanted the news of the reopening to be known.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/225843/000022584312000115/finalseptember2012supplement.htm

(On page 2 of 3)

Sentinel Small Company Fund – Availability of Class A and Class C Shares to New Investors

Effective September 17, 2012, the Sentinel Small Company Fund’s Class A and Class C shares will re-open to all new investors and new investments.

Comments

• Please note that, as David reported in Manager Changes in August, the four previous managers of this fund left in a group on August 1 to go to positions with Eagle Asset Management. The replacement crew consists of the CEO of Sentinel Investments and three vice presidents. It appears that the CEO and two of the vice presidents are currently co-managers of other Sentinel funds, although the Sentinel website does not list managers for a few of the company's funds.

We have owned this fund for 5+ years and have been fairly satisfied, but I will be watching it closely now. It closed to new investors on January 29, 2010.
  • Reply to @Archaic: Scott T. Brayman (manager of CIPSX and CIPMX) was the manager of Sentinel Small Company from 1995 to 2004. It looks like replacement managers too have left Sentinel now. Performance of CIPSX was generally slightly better than SAGWX during the existence of both funds.

I have a small investment in CIPSX in my IRA. The fund is closed to new investors. CIPMX is open.

CIPSX is a GAARP'y fund among Small Growth funds which has had less downside than more aggressive growth counterparts.
  • Reply to @Investor: Thank you for the good information - I didn't know that bit of history.