Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jonathan Clement's Blog: Pouring Cold Water

FYI: SOMETIMES WE DON’T GIVE KIDS enough credit. Last week, my first-grader reminded me of this fact. On a trip to CVS, he was looking through the drink cooler, when he asked, “What’s Smartwater?” Before I could answer, he started with his own commentary. Seeing the price tag—which was more than double that of the regular water next to it—he wondered, “Why’s it smart? It’s just water. Is it really going to make me smart?”

This made me realize something: As consumers, we’re pretty skilled when it comes to spotting inflated prices and exaggerated marketing claims. My son proved that we have these abilities by age seven, if not earlier. But when it comes to the investment world, unfortunately, it is not as easy to make these distinctions. I see at least two reasons for that.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.humbledollar.com/2018/03/pouring-cold-water/