Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bondland was a bit muted today

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
The funds with MBS exposure performed well today ala ANGIX, PONDX, and even PTTDX but no great shakes. This sector of bondland has been rallying strongly for weeks so at least some weren't surprised by today's QE announcement. Junk was basically unchanged to up a tad and this market has also been on fire this month. Emerging market bonds were unchanged to lower. I am not a technical overbought and oversold aficionado as markets can stay that way for weeks and months at a time. But as my technical analyst friend says about many areas in bondland such as junk and MBS, "they are really, really overbought at these levels". So we shall see what occurs now that the QE 3 suspense is out of the way.

Comments

• Yup. I'm heavy in EM bonds. My PREMX was down 2 cents. It's been down very mildly over the past few days. My MAINX was up a penny. Best performer was TRAMX, up by 1.38% on the day, but that's just 2.96% of portfolio.
  • with interest rates pegged to zero, the spread products (not-agency MBS and HY) will continue to perform well. but equities should perform even better. don't forget the two positive elephants in a sea of negativity: tail risk in Europe -- if not gone, is very much diminished; and housing market in the US -- the single reason for a global crisis -- has recently stabilized -- first time since 2007. these are very, and i should say VERY, important reasons to favor risk assets despite the volatility.

• ACITX +(0.90%)
    DGCIX +(0.16%)
    DIHYX +(0.22%)
    DPFFX +(0.21%)
    FAGIX +(0.21%)
    FBNDX +(0.25%)
    FHIIX +(0.13%)
    FINPX +(0.90%)
    FNMIX -(0.06%)
    FRIFX +(0.35%)
    FSICX +(0.18%)
    FTBFX +(0.18%)
    LSBDX +(0.53%)
    OPBYX +(0.43%)
    PTTRX +(0.44%)
    SPHIX +(0.11%)
    PLDDX +(0.38%)
    PONDX +(0.33%)

The big bang was in TIPs. If one can maintain a +.25%/week; there will be no whining and moaning. Money will double every 5.5 years.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: hmm, pimco real return (with TIP as its benchmark) is only up .72%.