Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How far will funds/equity market travel; before; well, before profits are taken? LIP

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
Asia, 10:30pm, Thursday

Same links below; but for testing purposes only..............

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=asia

Asia, 10:30pm, Thursday

Comments

• As I noted in another thread, I think this is going to be the moment where you start to see money trickle back into equity funds. If not, and people just regard this as another opportunity to sell equity funds and buy fixed income, then I give up - those people aren't coming back to equities for a loooong time. Either way, there is going to be enough cash around (and more likely on the way) to send equities higher (with some pullbacks, certainly), whether or not fundamentals/valuations make sense. A lot of the money flowing around is going to head into commodities, as well.
  • beebee
    edited September 2012
    Hi Catch,

As I look back over my equity holdings I notice that high volatility hurt many of my equity funds from performing as well the overall market. Maybe its "catch" up time from these sectors. This has already happened with PM (USAGX, PCRDX) which had fallen back 30% most recently. Did I have the discipline to pile in back then? ...only a little.

I would suggest "only a little" as a good approach. Take profits along the way but, "only a little". Buy into this momentum (artificially induced) but, "only a little". "Only a little" is a relative term but, I would do this up to your sleeping quotient.

My "hold and add to" investments include real estate (REIT funds...REACX, CSRSX, VNQ), Commodities (I default to Scott in this area), Energy (Natural Gas seems the most undervalued but, I have been more diversified in VGENX, PRNEX, & GASFX), and maybe Emerging Markets (VWO, WAEMX, MSMLX, MAPIX, PRMSX, PRASX).

Also, I am waiting to unload a few "stuck in the mud" funds...CAMAX, Japan funds (PRJPX, MJFOX) and a "broken and I can't get up" stock... RIMM.

QE3 seems like a nice time to take stock and prepare for the colder seasons ahead.
  • Watching the action with interest. I have some stuff that is getting way overbought. Thinking about taking some profits off the table.
  • Reply to @bee: I like the "only a little" approach in this market. Sold my small trading position in MOO early this morning when it gapped way above its Bollinger Band; it's pulling back now and I'll buy it back in due time. I have large positions in mReit CYS and nat gas ETF FCG, both of which are screaming higher today, but these are longer term holdings, and they're not overbought enough to consider my taking profits. Not touching any of my mutual funds. With today's sale, I'm probably near 30% cash, which reflects my cautious stance in this market.
  • Reply to @bee: may i ask how many line items you have in your portfolio?
  • beebee
    edited September 2012
    Reply to @fundalarm:
    Hi Fund,

Probably too many... I just counted and I come up with 40 funds give or take.

My choice of funds has a bit to do with where I have my accounts...T Rowe, Vanguard, an USAA. I chose to diversify across brokerage house as well as funds.

I hold:
    PRHSX and VHT...Health Care
    VWO, PRMSX, MSMLX, WAEMX, PRASX,PRIDX and MAPIX...Emerging/Asian/International
    PRMTX, MATFX, VOX...Global Tech
    USAGX, VGPMX, PCRDX, VIS...Material, Precious Metals, Commodities
    REACX, CSRSX, and VNQ...Real Estate
    VDE, GASFX, PRNEX...Energy, Utilities
    PRNHX, PRDMX, PRIDX, HRVIX...Small/Mid Cap
    MFCFX, FAIRX, OAKIX, CAMAX...LC with a Focus?
    MJFOX, PRJPX...Japan
    USIBX, RPSIX, PONDX, TGBAX, PRPFX, USTEX, PRWCX...Conservative/ Moderate Allocation / Bonds

When I run M* portfolio X-Ray I am about 1/3 bond, 1/3 Foreign Stock, 1/3 US Stock.
    50% is in my top 10 holdings.

I suppose I could own...BND, VT and VTI and be done with it but, what fun...d is that?

I feel more comfortable diversifying funds as well as fund houses.
  • Reply to @bee: thanks, bee. I myself have a bunch of line items (though less than you). Do you feel that Japan indeed merits an allocation separate from other foreign? (you seem to bundle together EM/Asia/Int'l, but Japan stands out.)