Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Lessons For A Retiring Mutual Fund Legend

Comments

• Thanks for posting. Vanguard Health Care fund has been one of my parent's fund for the past 15+ years. Throughout the market's ups and downs, the fund has done very good as noted int Barrons article. In the past several years we adopted a second health care fund, T. Rowe Price Health Sciences, PRHSX. Kris Jenner, the fund manager, takes on a more aggressive approach by investing in more mid- and small- companies as Mr. Owen did when the fund has a much smaller asset base. Many of these companies are biotech related, and they represent the future in health care.
  • No real lessons in the article, but I am certainly glad I bought VGHCX when is was $30, and wish I could have bought more at that price, rather than the ca. $146 it is today. It was one of several reasonable recommendations made by the old Money magazine.
  • Sven: You hit the nail on the head regarding Kris Jenner on his aggressive approach to investing in mid and small cap biotech companies. Over the last ten years Price's Health Sciences Fund has out performed Vanguard's Health Care Fund by as wide margin.
    Regards,
    Ted
    PRHSX vs. VGHCX : http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/mutual-fund/compare?Tickers=VGHCX+PRHSX&Compare=Returns
  • A long term holding of mine was IBB a biotech ETF. It took off this year for the same reason Price's Health Sciences Fund did so well, lots more risk with biotech. I sold mine a couple weeks ago.