Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What’s moving gold?

edited April 2018 in The OT Bullpen
Range-bound between maybe $1225-$1375 for over a year now. So nearing the upper end. Nice bump today ($20+) to around $1360-65). A little bit of this goes a long way. Doesn’t take much of a stake in the miners to affect a portfolio. If today’s price holds, I’d expect many mining funds to jump 3-4% today - possibly more. The possibility of military confrontation with Russia may be the reason. (Buy bomb shelters, not gold.). However, if it’s the fear-factor, than equities aren’t following suit. S&P is in the green as I write.

Also - Crude has really spiked this week. Brent’s over $70 - after bottoming around $25-$30 a couple years ago. If this rise continues, the recent buyer move towards larger vehicles may be arrested.

If I heard Bloomberg correctly, last month’s PPI rose 0.2% (excluding energy and food). That’s an annual rate of 2.4%. In theory (only) your money would need to earn a 2.4% annual rate (after taxes and investment expenses) to break even. That’s a still low inflation rate compared to the double-digit rates hit in the 70’s, but picking up.

BTW: I don’t subscribe to the sales-pitch & hype about how an ounce of gold “will still buy you a new suit”. A lot of exaggeration / scare tactics used to pitch the stuff to the gullible. Watch for a flood of TV adds now that price has risen. I do, however, view it as a wild card that’s liable to do anything. As such, it may reduce your portfolio’s correlation with other assets you own. (Nice to look at as well.)