Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A couple of obscure Turbo Tax gotchas

Ran across these this year. Shouldn't affect most people, but if the shoe fits, it's worth checking your returns:

- Some less common 1099 DIV information isn't showing up in imported forms. In my case, box 2b (Section 1250 gain) came up zero, even though the financial provider had passed this info to Intuit. I communicated the error to Intuit, and I believe (not sure, it was awhile ago) that they acknowledged a few glitches like this. So always check your imported data against the 1099s, W2s, etc. from your financial institutions.

- Delaware state return software doesn't recognize that interest from territory (e.g. US VI, PR, etc.) muni bonds is tax exempt in Delaware. If you're only filing in one state, you may be able to fake out the software by declaring the muni income as coming from DE. If you're filing in multiple states, the only "fix" I could come up with was to override a figure in the Delaware form. I spoke with a tax person at Intuit who confirmed territory income should be treated as exempt from Delaware tax.

- Fidelity 1099 data provided to Intuit does not match its 1099s to the penny. Literally. I found a figure differing by a penny. This almost surely won't affect the amount of your tax. Fidelity confirmed that one should use the data on their 1099s and not what you import (should they differ). What I find disconcerting is that there is only one number (for each box) provided to the IRS; why isn't Fidelity taking measures to ensure the same number is reported to the tax preparation sites?

Happy returns:-)

Comments

• Speaking of Delaware state TurboTax glitches, TT added an underpayment penalty to my Delaware return even though I overpaid and was due a refund.
  • edited April 2018
    I could be wrong about this, must run it down when child returns from travel on Sunday, but it appears that the first-time-homebuyer taxfree IRA withdrawal (contribs of course, plus gain up to $10k) is NOT carried forward from fed to Mass. state correctly.
    In other words her state tax is too high and we are not seeing how to touch form 8606 directly.
    Will investigate further, could be a mistake we are making, but can be added to TT bug list maybe.